PDA

View Full Version : BIS 3.0 - 2 way Gmail sync

Rob377
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Supposedly, BIS 3.0 is online now and is said to offer 2-way gmail sync.

I'm not seeing that on my device. Tried resending my service books. No joy. Anyone else seeing a similar problem, or is there something I need to do to get this to work?

dc/dc
05-05-2010, 03:40 AM
It's not yet working fully.

michko
05-05-2010, 06:29 AM
It's not yet working fully.

OK so this is what I've noticed. I have a Bold 9700 with AT&T and I'm in Chicago.

So what I did was set up all three of my accounts via my phone SETUP icon. I have 3 gmail accounts (1 gmail and 2 google apps emails). When I set them up using my BB I set each of them as GMAIL accounts.

What I've noticed is emails I send via gmail and google apps from the web show up right away.

However when it comes to read/unread and deletes that I do from the web, it's been taking a few hours to update on my BB......which kinda sucks.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm gonna try to remove and re-add them again to see if it speeds up.

Have any of you seen the read/unread and deletes sync faster to your BB than every few hours?

:x:x:x:x

whsbuss
05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
The read/unread/delete via the gmail web has always taken up to 24 hours to be reflected on the BB. The only thing new on BIS is sent email via the web now shows on the BB.

scottd.home
05-05-2010, 07:17 AM
I recently read about the new "BIS two-way sync for Gmail" functionality...but I don't understand how this is different, or how this improves upon my current ability to setup a "gmail" email account on BIS (which I did two years ago). So, what is does this new software/functionality provide that I can't already do? Thanks in advance!

penguin3107
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
So, what is does this new software/functionality provide that I can't already do?

Messages sent using Gmail on the web will now sync to the handheld.
Messages read using Gmail on the web will now show as read on the handheld.
Reconciliation times should be improved dramatically.

akosnitzky
05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I am on BIS.
When I send from Web, it will show as sent on my BB which is new.

I cant get the deletes to synch from either direction.

akosnitzky
05-05-2010, 08:45 AM
The read/unread/delete via the gmail web has always taken up to 24 hours to be reflected on the BB. The only thing new on BIS is sent email via the web now shows on the BB.

If you delete from BB, can you get it to delete on web?

sjt79
05-05-2010, 09:30 AM
If you delete from BB, can you get it to delete on web?

To add to this, I read this to think that sent messages on the BB, if deleted from the sent items on the web, will then be deleted off the BB (since the emails sent from the BB do show up in the sent items on the web). So confusing. But definitely nice upgrades if/when they're up and running properly.:?

fratts
05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this upgrade carrier specific? Some carriers may not have upgraded their BIS yet and therefore you won't have the 2 way sync.

jsconyers
05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this upgrade carrier specific? Some carriers may not have upgraded their BIS yet and therefore you won't have the 2 way sync.

No, RIM upgrades their NOC's.

penguin3107
05-05-2010, 10:47 AM

BIS upgrades are region-based.
Asia-pacific, Europe, North America, etc.
A BIS upgrade would essentially affect any carrier within the specific region.

OmegaWolf747
05-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I have a weird thing with my email too. I my Gmail accounts set up on my BlackBerry. I also have a Hotmail account that is not set up on the Berry. The weirdness is if I send an email to my Gmail accounts from my Hotmail account, it shows up on the BlackBerry as a sent mail, even though the Gmail account received it, not sent it.

Weird!

wu-wei
05-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see a message I sent via Gmail using Outlook on my desktop show up as sent item in my BlackBerry's message list.

richardw
05-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Ah now I understand why sent mail is now appearing on the BB. Great feature.

I only use GMail and BB now which is fantastic!

akosnitzky
05-06-2010, 04:27 AM
The hope is that it will be fully functional in all areas. Maybe this is something for BIS 3.1 and 3.2

michko
05-06-2010, 02:43 PM
UPDATE

So the two way sync is working a little faster today (read/unread and delete from Gmail on the web).

However my GOOGLE APPS calendar is getting duplicated on my BB calendar only. Kinda strange. Anyone else notice this?

penguin3107
05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Google Calendar has been having issues all day. This is on Google's end.
http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/google-calendar-down/

winger13
05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Messages sent using Gmail on the web will now sync to the handheld.
Reconciliation times should be improved dramatically.

How about the following scenarios?

1) Messages read using Handheld now show as read on the web .

AND
IF a read message was set to UNOPENED on either the web or handheld, will this get synced to the other platform?

I mentioned before in other posts, but Yahoo has been doing full 2-way sync (it does everything note above, what I quoted AND what I asked) now for at least since last April (2009) when I got my first BB. What's taking so long with Gmail?

BTW, I am with Sprint in California. I only see the following:

Where are the sync characteristics for BIS 3.0 documented (and for future releases?) ?

penguin3107
05-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Messages read using Handheld now show as read on the web
Not new with BIS 3.0. This has been an active feature for quite some time.

IF a read message was set to UNOPENED on either the web or handheld, will this get synced to the other platform?
To my knowledge, no.

Yahoo has been doing full 2-way sync (it does everything note above, what I quoted AND what I asked) now for at least since last April (2009) when I got my first BB.
Yahoo has had 2-way reconciliation for a lot longer than you've been around. Several years.

What's taking so long with Gmail?
Ask Google. They wrote Gmail and designed it unlike any other email platform in existence.

Where are the sync characteristics for BIS 3.0 documented (and for future releases?) ?
They aren't really documented anywhere, other than a few KB entries on blackberry.com.

soloo
10-22-2010, 03:07 PM
So does anyone know if if I delete an email from gmail.com, will this same email be deleted from BB's native email client too?

I was pleasantly surprised to see a message I sent via Gmail using Outlook on my desktop show up as sent item in my BlackBerry's message list.

SteveO86
10-22-2010, 07:02 PM
So does anyone know if if I delete an email from gmail.com, will this same email be deleted from BB's native email client too?

Yes it will, but it has up to a 4 hour reconcile timer, so it is not instant.

This feature has been around since BIS 2.8 I think.. Maybe even longer then that.