PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry In Pocket?

Kamau
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
This may sound a little silly, but I would actually like to know.
Does anyone really go around with their BB in their pocket? I'm talking shirt, pants, coat, etc.. And if you do, do you find it getting broken, scratched, etc more often than not? I am already sure that the lint issue alone is probably worrisome.
I ask because I have carried mine either in a case on my belt, or very seldom in my coat pocket, but never in my pants or shirt.

ezrunner
05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (well lookie here!)

Goes in my pants or shorts pocket often but not for long periods! Of course it is in an otterbox case!

G M Fude
05-05-2010, 10:17 PM
My Pearl 8110 spent five-sevenths of its life in a belt case, and the other two-sevenths in my pants pocket (i.e. week days vs weekends). I never had lint problems, the trackball never required cleaning to work properly, and there were minimal scratches on the screen (no screen protector) despite being in the same pocket as coins and car keys. The case was pretty badly scratched, though. On rare occasions I would take the device out of my pocket to discover it was somehow turned off -- I guess I must have leaned against something and held down the red key for long enough.

BlackBerrys are seriously robust mechanically, in my experience.

dc/dc
05-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Mine's in my pocket right now.

akosnitzky
05-06-2010, 04:30 AM
I always place in my phone in my pocket. I also have a plastic removal coating that i place on the screen.

wcr3d
05-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Wirelessly posted

Through the years I had a pearl, curve and now tour all pocketed with the only protection being a gel skin.

rambo47
05-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Slip-in sleeve case (leather) and then into a pocket. I will occasionally put my naked BB into my t-shirt pocket, but not for long.

johnling
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Otterbox Defender in my shirt pocket, ONLY when I use the keypad protector. Lint does cause most major keypad problems over a shorter time than most think.

Noodle22
05-06-2010, 07:40 AM
I do this, but I need a case for mine. I only have a skin on it right now.

I usually keep it in my hand while it's in my sweater pocket while walking, but then I worry about moisture in there if it feels like it's getting warm, so then I end up putting it in my jeans pocket for a short while.

When I'm going to be running around, I put it in a designated pocket in my purse for it so it doesn't get bumped or jostled out of my own pockets.

Don't have lint or dust issues, but I feel I should be more careful. No scratches or dings.

dc/dc
05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I do this, but I need a case for mine. I only have a skin on it right now.

I usually keep it in my hand while it's in my sweater pocket while walking, but then I worry about moisture in there if it feels like it's getting warm, so then I end up putting it in my jeans pocket for a short while.

When I'm going to be running around, I put it in a designated pocket in my purse for it so it doesn't get bumped or jostled out of my own pockets.

Don't have lint or dust issues, but I feel I should be more careful. No scratches or dings.

Yeah, I keep mine in my purse too (when I carry it).

Raptor464
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I keep mine in a silicone gel skin, and then stick it in my pocket

Jenks Woodman
05-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I keep mine in my pocket (left side in case you wanted to know) with it in standby mode. I found that if I set it down, I often leave it somewhere when I get up. My kids are forever doing that and then asking "Dad, where's my phone".

We have a policy at work that phones are to be on silent or vibrate mode - too many potential offensive ring tones going off, especially during meetings.

Is it scratched, oh yea. People kid me that I need to get a new phone because it looks beat up. For me, it does what I need it to do and it has been working fine for almost 3 years.

BlueMonk7
05-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Always in my pocket or carrying it my hand. It does have resin skin and I try to be careful. But I would not wear it on my belt if you paid me.

scottjb
05-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I always carry mine in my pants pocket--no case, skin or screen protector.

tra1cker
05-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I always have mine in my pocket, and the same for phones before my BB. I have a screen protector and hard case from VZW on it that protects the sides and back, but the front is open. It's not scratched up too bad, just regular wear and tear, and I don't really have a lint problem. I've tried belt clips, but I would cut a corner too close and it would go flying. Or it would get ripped off when the seatbelt retracted if it got hooked.

wabbit
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
where else would you put a cell phone if not in a pocket?

Jen_BabyBerryApps
05-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Definitely in my pocket. No skin though, Why would you take something small(ish) and make it bigger with a skin? Is it for gripability?

DaveTheA
05-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I put a gel skin on my 9700 and carry it in a coat or jacket pocket [carefully]. Also a shirt pocket sometimes. Sometimes I will also use the leather case in a coat pocket, but only if I don't expect to be taking a lot of calls

Gswaim
05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Mine's in my pocket right now.

My last Blackberry I had for 15 months and never kept it anywhere but my right pocket with no case. I've got a newer version since with the touchpad, but the old one (with a trackball) never had a scratch on it.

P.S. I kept my wallet and keys in the left pocket.

alexjk
05-08-2010, 10:35 PM
i sometimes put mine in my back pocket but not for long. it doesn't get scratched because i have a case and a screen protector on it.

am_beagle
05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I always keep my BBs (Pearls, Curves, Storm and now Curve 2) in my pockets; rear right pocket on jeans, right side pocket on trousers, and sometimes in breast pocket in suits. The only precaution is keep it alone in the pocket, not with coins, keys, lighter....
I never wore it on the belt, even if getting paid for that.

Kamau
05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Thank You for all the helpful information from everyone. The reason I asked was because I am on occasion having problems with my cases, and am considering just putting it in my pocket. I do have a screen protector and a plastic shell, and was wondering if it would be safe to do so. I am not gonna put it in my back pocket (might sit on it), and the pants I wear would not be tight, so it wouldn't be hard on it when I sit down. I am concerned about lint getting into it, though I'm sure compressed air would take care of that too. Again, thanks for the insight to all.

Briant392
05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't have any problems with putting in my pocket. I been needing to a silicone case for the phone but just haven't had the time or the urgency to get it. The only rule about my phone in my pocket, and this has been the same for every phone that I have had, is that it gets in own pocket. I don't keep change, keys, or Ipod in the same pocket as it so I haven't really had a problem with scratches on it. As far a lint goes I haven't had anything a quick swipe of my shirt won't take care of. The only real problem I have with my curve is finger prints.

Private_MitchConnor
05-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I keep mine in an Otterbox skin, with a screen protector on it. Never have to worry about it getting dinged up in pocket with those on. Great piece of mind.

Kamau
05-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Wirelessly posted

I have thought about the Otter, but I have been considering moving up to the 9700. I don't want to invest in anything right now if I plan on changing phones.
I do appreciate the comment though.

kenorian
05-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Always in my pants pocket, a year and a half on my current device.... no issues.

Briant392
05-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I would like the otter but the price point is an issue for me. I just can't spending that much money on a case for my phone.

pointerman1967
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Keep my Tour in my pocket all the time. If it's not in my right pants pocket I start looking for it. I have the screen facing towards my leg and use one of the screen protectors and have not had an issue in a year. I also never stick anything else in that same pocket. Keys, change or what ever always go in my left pocket.

tsac
05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Other than scratching the case or screen with something else inthe pocket, should not be an issue