PDA

View Full Version : Maps / GPS question

8703user
05-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Ok, so the 8310 has GPS. Good. But if you use something like Google maps, which is nice, it loads the actual image of the map over the air, right? So if you're out in the wilderness with no cell tower signal, you're out of luck - no maps load? Is it possible to buy one of the paid map services and download all the map content to your micro SD card so when you have no cell signal but you do have a GPS signal, you can still navigate? Is this possible?

Dubdub
05-07-2010, 07:13 AM
There are very few map apps that use the SD card. Go to the GPS & Maps section and see the yellow sticky at the top. It has reviews of many of the map apps for the BB.

IMHO, if you plan to hike and be in areas with no cell coverage, a standalone, battery powered device designed for hiking and similar uses might be your best option. And when you run out of battery , you put fresh ones in. Can't do that with a BB.

8703user
05-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't necessarily be using it in the wilderness like for hiking, but say you're in a large national park with no cell coverage on the roads...that's a good example of when it would be nice to have. Thanks

EDIT:
Bummer...I checked Telenav's site and they charge $10 per month to use it? I was hoping it was more of a one-time charge and only pay again if you want to update maps like TomTom does. Crap. I doubt I'd be willing to pay for that as a monthly service. I'm not that hard up for out of cell tower range maps usage. :)

pshift
05-07-2010, 08:59 AM
There is a company that sells pre-loaded maps on an SD card. There is also a way to do this for free at How to install offline Maps on your BlackBerry using TrekBuddy 0.973 (http://www.medicalnerds.com/how-to-install-offline-maps-on-your-blackberry-using-trekbuddy-0973/)

Motorcycle Mama
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't necessarily be using it in the wilderness like for hiking, but say you're in a large national park with no cell coverage on the roads...that's a good example of when it would be nice to have. Thanks

EDIT:
Bummer...I checked Telenav's site and they charge $10 per month to use it? I was hoping it was more of a one-time charge and only pay again if you want to update maps like TomTom does. Crap. I doubt I'd be willing to pay for that as a monthly service. I'm not that hard up for out of cell tower range maps usage. :)
You would be better served getting a basic handheld GPS unit from Garmin that trying to use your BlackBerry for GPS and maps in remote locations. It will be much more reliable in these circumstances.

balansboy
05-07-2010, 12:12 PM

EDIT:

Check with Sprint. I think I get the Telenav included with my BB plan.