PDA

View Full Version : synchronisation error

saxophone
05-20-2010, 08:21 AM
I have tried to synchronise m BB but get an error telling me the Blackberry Desktop Software has stopped running.
I have enclosed a screen shot of the error.
I currently have v4.7.0.25 loaded on my computer

The problem occurs when it is trying to sync my outlook calendar - the contacts list works fine
I tried to reboot my computer but thave the same problem.

Please can someone help

fonejunkie
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Try upgrading the the latest version of Desktop Manager (5.0.1).

Dubdub
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Are you plugged directly into the PC or via a HUB? BBs do not lke HUBs so plug directly into the PC, and if a desktop PC, plug into the back USB port.

Also try a battery pull on the BB.

saxophone
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I am using the direct connection to the pc
I have already tried done a battery pull - no luck
I have 4 USB ports and have done a sync many times - suddenly not working now?
I am using Windows 7
The funny thing is this is happening all of a sudden - it worked fine 2 or 3 days ago

Tech Grunt
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Hello Saxophone,

I have found these tricks/steps useful in situations like the one you describe:

Easiest, 1st thing I would try, is to open Desktop Manager, go into Synchronize. On the left under Configure click on synchronize, then click the reset configuration button. Then re-configure your sync as you desire and test.

Next trick to try if the above solution didn't work. I would go to C:\Users\<name of user>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry, and delete the Intellisync folder (and all it's contents). The next time you sync up Desktop Manager will re-create the folder and base settings.

Lastly, it may be a problem with your e-mail profile not playing well with Desktop Manager (non-tech jargon). I'm assuming you're using MS Outlook. You may need to re-create your e-mail profile, and point the DM to the newly created profile.

Hope one of these steps resolves your issue.

Kind Regards.

Tech Grunt.

saxophone
05-22-2010, 01:29 AM
So I soled the problem as follows
I had recently added 3 appointments in my calendar through meeting requests
2 were accepted via Outlook and one via my BB - none had yet been syncronised
I deleted all 3 and then the sync worked and i just put the appointments back in and did another sync
So one of the ppointments must have had some sort of bug in it - crazy stuff!
thanks for the help

richardw
05-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Do as Tech Grunt says Saxophone!!

This is the only way when you have had good sync and suddenly have probs likely to be caused by a corrupted database.

It is easier to do the proper fix and then all will be good - for a while!!

BillBB
05-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Grunt-I cant find _C:\Users\<name of user>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry in my computer....What am I doing wrong????

How do I point the DM to the Outlook??

I am still getting "Unknown Error Reported" when I try to synch

Could it be the AntiVirus programs??

Bill BB

Hello Saxophone,

I have found these tricks/steps useful in situations like the one you describe:

Easiest, 1st thing I would try, is to open Desktop Manager, go into Synchronize. On the left under Configure click on synchronize, then click the reset configuration button. Then re-configure your sync as you desire and test.

Next trick to try if the above solution didn't work. I would go to C:\Users\<name of user>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry, and delete the Intellisync folder (and all it's contents). The next time you sync up Desktop Manager will re-create the folder and base settings.

Lastly, it may be a problem with your e-mail profile not playing well with Desktop Manager (non-tech jargon). I'm assuming you're using MS Outlook. You may need to re-create your e-mail profile, and point the DM to the newly created profile.

Hope one of these steps resolves your issue.

Kind Regards.

Tech Grunt.

tsac
05-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Follow these to create a logfile. It may help find the issue.
It gives Windows 7 info also.

Task 1 - Identify which organizer application is causing the synchronization to fail

Identify which organizer application is causing the synchronization to fail by synchronizing each application separately until the issue recurs.

Task 2 - Configure the iloptcfg.cfg file

Open the iloptcfg.cfg file using Notepad. The file is in one of the following directories, depending on the operating system:
Windows 2000 or Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync

Note: If the Application Data folder is not visible, complete the following steps:

In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View tab.
In the Advanced settings section, under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders.
Click Apply > OK.
Note: The above steps can also be completed in Windows 7. To access the Tools menu press the ALT key while in Windows Explorer.

Windows Vista™ and Windows 7
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync

Note: If the App Data folder is not visible, complete the following steps:

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Complete the appropriate step below:
If Control Panel opens in the Classic View, double-click the Folder Options icon and select the View tab.
If Control Panel opens in the Control Panel Home view, click Appearance and Personalization and then click Show Hidden Files or Folders.
In the Hidden files and folders section, select the Show hidden files and folders radio button.
Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box.
Click Apply > OK.
Change the MultiJobTraceLog value to 200 (the default is 1). This setting generates the PTTrace.log file.
Change the TifLog value to 100 (the default is 0). This setting generates the tif.log file.
Save and close the file.
Note: For BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 4.0.1, delete the PTTrace.log and tif.log files from the folder. These are the old synchronization files.

Task 3 - Turn on ODSViewer logging (IBM Lotus Notes only)

For IBM® Lotus® Notes® 6, 6.5, 7.0, 8.0, and 8.5, complete the following steps to turn on ODSViewer logging:

Open Windows Explorer and go to one of the following locations, depending on the version of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software that is running on your computer:

A solution is you use Lotus Notes.

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Connectors\Lotus Notes6.0

Double-click the ODSViewer.exe file.
In the ODS Default Viewer, verify that the output path is set to a valid file name (for example, C:\Temp\ODSDebug.log).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 4 - Synchronize the BlackBerry® smartphone using the affected application to create the synchronization log files

Complete the following steps:

Disconnect the BlackBerry smartphone from the computer.
Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager if it is open.
Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
Reconnect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
In the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, click Synchronize.
In the left pane, click Synchronization.
Click the Synchronization button.
Clear all the check boxes, except for the check box beside the organizer application that is causing the error, and then click OK.
In the Synchronize window, click the Synchronize button near the center of the page. This creates the PTTrace.log and tif.log synchronization log files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 5 - Reconfigure the iloptcfg.cfg file

Open the iloptcfg.cfg file using a text editor such as Notepad. This file is located in one of the following directories, depending on your operating system:
In Windows 2000 or Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync

In Windows Vista and Windows 7
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync

Change the MultiJobTraceLog value to 1.
Change the Tiflog value to 0.
Save and close the file.

Additional Information
After you enable advanced synchronization logging, calendar entries might appear corrupted. This may be as a result of attachments in the calendar. Once the attachments are removed, synchronization should complete successfully.