PDA

View Full Version : Tether a Blackberry 9700 without additional connection charges

hderry3
05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I've just bought a Blackberry 9700 - I have unlimited internet access. Is there any way I can tether my Blackberry to my netbook to connect to the internet using my existing internet connection instead of paying additional connection charges.

Technologically speaking I can't see it being too difficult because the connection already exists between the phone and the network operator - it's surely just a case of link that connection back to the laptop.

Can anyone offer any advice?????

Thank you!

PlayingCatchUp
05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
I've just bought a Blackberry 9700 - I have unlimited internet access. Is there any way I can tether my Blackberry to my netbook to connect to the internet using my existing internet connection instead of paying additional connection charges.

Technologically speaking I can't see it being too difficult because the connection already exists between the phone and the network operator - it's surely just a case of link that connection back to the laptop.

Can anyone offer any advice?????

Thank you!

Hey there, I've made a how-to for our users on tethering that may be of use to you. The only difference here may be your network and their available services etc. For us, there's not a great deal of choice so I was able to connect without trouble. I'll post it here in a .doc, let me know how you get on 8-)

Dubdub
05-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Most carriers require a tether plan of some sort. You will need to check with your carrier to see if they require it. And they can detect using the BB as a modem. And if you are a lucky one detected, you could end up with a huge, unplanned data bill.

IMHO, it isn't worth the risk trying to circumvent charges such as that.

rambo47
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
A lot of carriers used to look the other way and allow you to get free tethering with only minimal workarounds. Within the last year or so they all started getting serious about enforcing the requirement that you pay for the services you use, like tethering. What Dubdub said about them slamming you with a bill for your usage is something you should take seriously. And if they do catch you and charge you, you have no excuse to use to try to get the charges reduced or refunded.

Sometimes the answer is NO.

nshih42
05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
With T-Mobile it is completely free. All you need to do is connect your phone to DM 5.01 and click on IP Modem. Click configure and Select T-Mobile from the list. Then Click on Connect. Give it a few seconds and it will connect and you have free tethering on T-Mobile. As far as other Service Providers there might or might not be a charge by using tether this way.

Epic800
05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
What about on AT&T?

dc/dc
05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
What about on AT&T?

AT&T requires an additional tethering add-on plan that costs $15/month at this time.

hderry3
05-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Thank you for all of your help! I think in this case I will avoid tethering it just in case I get the extra charges. It's a pity because I think it's the only thing that would make this phone slightly more perfect than it already is. Ah well - will just have to cope!

Thanks again.

tsac
05-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Carriers want as much income as possible and this is just one of the ways they get the extra money above the other full data charges.