PDA

View Full Version : Supplementary service error: General error

El Nino9
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I currently have a BlackBerry Curve and has been working fine for a while now, but over the last 2 hours i cant send or recieve txt messages! If i try and make a call i get ''Supplementary service error: General error''. I couldnt find much about this on Google except a hard battery pull while the phone was on, which i tried but still no luck. Anyone got any idea's for me to resolve this issue ?

Many thanks..

El Nino9
06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
No one at all ??

Dubdub
06-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Please have some patience. You only waited less than 2 hours before you posted again. We are all volunteers here.

What does your signal strength indicator show? Is your carrier having a voice and/or data outage?

Have you removed and reinserted the SIM card?

You said that you tried a battery pull, how long did you wait before you reinserted it and let it reboot?

What were you doing just prior to this happening?

El Nino9
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Please have some patience. You only waited less than 2 hours before you posted again. We are all volunteers here.

What does your signal strength indicator show? Is your carrier having a voice and/or data outage? My signal says 'gprs' with 3 to 4 bars next to it, on the status check my signal says at the moment '-84 dBm'.

Have you removed and reinserted the SIM card? Yes

You said that you tried a battery pull, how long did you wait before you reinserted it and let it reboot? 5 mins

What were you doing just prior to this happening? Painting in my room, there has never been a problem when the phone has been used in there an nothing was spilt on the phone either. ......

tsac
06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
There are a few General errors but the top one listed for each is memory error. Here are a few.

5000 to 5099 General Errors
5001 Memory error
5002 Error starting or initializing thread pool
5003 Error starting or initializing a thread

At each defined error type shown for the BB
Supplementary service error: General error

the top one is memory.

It can be others caused by an application. Did you install an APP before this started.

El Nino9
06-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Havent installed anything at all i'm only on pay & go so dont really bother with all the features as my provider (o2) dont offer a plan.. Also i tried to make an emergency call ringing 999 to see if it would connect an i get this 'Phone not allowed MM#5'

tsac
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Ok so now it looks like your Pay service may be off. Did you call the carrier?

El Nino9
06-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I did they said nothing is wrong with my sim whatsoever so i'm totally lost now

rambo47
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Perhaps you should log into your BIS page at O2 and re-enter your PIN and IMEI. Then resend your service books.

MidnightDraven
06-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Rambo, they don't have a BB data plan, so no BIS.

A "phone not allowed MM" (usually MM6) error usually results from someone using software they shouldn't be, and bricking the phone.

El Nino9
06-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Rambo, they don't have a BB data plan, so no BIS.

A "phone not allowed MM" (usually MM6) error usually results from someone using software they shouldn't be, and bricking the phone.

I'm still getting the ''MM5'', i left the phone off all last night on the off chance it would go back to normal but still no luck whatsoever

tsac
06-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Do you have a Blackberry Data plan? Not a standard data plan but one for the Blackberry.
Ask your provider if you have one.

El Nino9
06-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Do you have a Blackberry Data plan? Not a standard data plan but one for the Blackberry.
Ask your provider if you have one.

Not that i am aware of i bought the phone off Ebay brand new an just put my o2 sim in it an it had been working fine for over a month now

devnull
06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
The problem may be that the device/IMEI has been reported stolen after you bought it on eBay.

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

El Nino9
06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
The problem may be that the device/IMEI has been reported stolen after you bought it on eBay.

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

If thats the case is there a way of sorting this out at all or is the phone useless ?

devnull
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
You could return it to the eBay seller.

tsac
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
If it does not have a blackberry data plan it wont work except for calls so the first thing to do is call the carrier and see if you have a BB data plan. If you suspect the phone is stolen, try to return it. You may have trouble doing that if it is stolen and the seller knows it.

rambo47
06-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Text messages are usually part of the basic services. If it won't work, it sure sounds to me like O2 has it blocked or otherwise disabled. The fact that it used to work on that exact BB makes an O2 screw-up even more likely.

Double check that when you're trying to send a text message you have a strong signal. A downed or disabled tower in your area could be hosing your connection where it previously worked fine.