PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Network but Slow download speeds

hyedipin
06-03-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/01468i26449300-2.jpg

According to this, AT&T is the fastest network, but I don't get anything near these speeds with my 9700. Whenever I try to open an attachment or whenever I am trying to stream a video/audio, it takes forever.. Even on BBM, when someone sends me a picture, it takes a while to download and open. When I mail some pictures same thing, although I can see upload speed is much slower.

If you compare this to older DSL services, it should open the attachments almost immediately.

Dubdub
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Those numbers really don't mean a whole lot, IMHO, and are using gathered in a lab under more or less ideal conditions. Your speed depends on many factors, most of which you can't control, such as your connection, device processor and memory, your distance to the tower, tower congestion, weather, etc. You can't compare it to a PC, cable or DSL either.

In general, GSM 3G should average about 400-900 kbps, and max at about 3.6 mbps download, upload is considerably slower. EDGE is 50-125 kbps download and max at 236 kbps.

tsac
06-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I wonder who paid for the test?

hyedipin
06-03-2010, 05:43 PM
You don't understand. When I tether my 2G 8900 to my laptop the speed is perfectly fine, near what is posted above, but the browser/downloads/music right on the blackberry is always extremely slower, obviously there is a bottleneck somewhere within BB OS or Hardware, most likely memory or processor limitation.

Dubdub
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I understand what you are asking. But .......

Like I said, it depends on a lot of variables. Unless you are doing a side by side comparison, sending and receiving the same files, at the same time, it really means very little.

What are you using to judge your download and upload speed?

rambo47
06-03-2010, 07:22 PM
When I had AT&T service here in the wilds of northern NJ, I found I was always connected to the 3G network but speeds were no better than EDGE on T-Mobile. I jumped to Sprint and the difference was absolutely stunning. I think AT&T's 3G network is so saturated that the speeds users get in the real world are often a terrible disappointment. I blame all those friggin' iPhone users.

Dubdub
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Tower congestion is one cause - as I said.

moneymikefromgr
06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
It takes BBs a little longer to process the data coming in, therefore you are limited to your device's processor. I remember there was a blackberry 870x for VZW that came out a few years ago. It was 3G, but the processor was only 80mhz, so the actual speeds were slower than 1x data.

moneymikefromgr
06-04-2010, 09:21 AM
When I had AT&T service here in the wilds of northern NJ, I found I was always connected to the 3G network but speeds were no better than EDGE on T-Mobile. I jumped to Sprint and the difference was absolutely stunning. I think AT&T's 3G network is so saturated that the speeds users get in the real world are often a terrible disappointment. I blame all those friggin' iPhone users.

I dont like iPhones either. They have saturated ATTs network!

hyedipin
06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree with you, when loading google maps or streaming audio it is not even close to EDGE in some cases.

tsac
06-04-2010, 06:22 PM
One possibility is the sending server is overloaded also. And I did understand your question, again some things are not what they seem to be regardless of what is shown.