PDA

View Full Version : LED not notifying?

MikeK2
12-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Okay, I am a noob with my 8700, I've only had it for three or four days, but I've noticed something in the last two days.

Both days now I've checked my messages on the 8700 just for giggles even though the LED is still flashing green. In both cases I had new messages. I have the profile set up to notify me by sound and with LED when out of the holster, so I'm not sure why it didn't change to Red.

Is there anything I may have missed?

Thanks,

Mike

Stinsonddog
12-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Okay, I am a noob with my 8700, I've only had it for three or four days, but I've noticed something in the last two days.

Both days now I've checked my messages on the 8700 just for giggles even though the LED is still flashing green. In both cases I had new messages. I have the profile set up to notify me by sound and with LED when out of the holster, so I'm not sure why it didn't change to Red.

Is there anything I may have missed?

Thanks,

Mike

MikeK2
12-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Here's what I have set:

Out of Holster is Tone, Medium Volume, 2 Beeps, LED Flashing. In holster I have it Vibrate with volume on Mute and LED Flashing.

That's the way it's been set since the day after I got it.

peznut
12-31-2005, 12:31 PM
MikeK2: Don't know if this is relevant but the 8700 only flashes the red LED for a certain amount of time after a message is received. (I have yet to figure out how long that is.) If you don't read the message within that period, it goes back to the green LED, even though you have a new message waiting...

MikeK2
12-31-2005, 12:41 PM
MikeK2: Don't know if this is relevant but the 8700 only flashes the red LED for a certain amount of time after a message is received. (I have yet to figure out how long that is.) If you don't read the message within that period, it goes back to the green LED, even though you have a new message waiting...

That may be exactly what it's doing. Does anyone know if that can be customized? I'd personally like to see it flash red until I at least open the message program or something like that.

Thanks for the info peznut.

peznut
12-31-2005, 12:43 PM
No problemo, and I too would like to change that little feature so it flashes red until new messages are read.

Boy Genius
12-31-2005, 03:08 PM
I have never had this problem with any blackberry including the 8700. If you have LED flashing on the active profile, in and out of holster, and you have a message that is unread, the LED will flash red until you read that message. Could be 5 min or 5 days...

MikeK2
12-31-2005, 05:29 PM
I have never had this problem with any blackberry including the 8700. If you have LED flashing on the active profile, in and out of holster, and you have a message that is unread, the LED will flash red until you read that message. Could be 5 min or 5 days...

I just sent a test email to myself to check this out, and it flashed red for about 15 minutes then changed back to green. I didn't turn on touch the phone until after it changed back to green.

Mike

AlbertoM
12-31-2005, 07:25 PM
BG, the BB's I've had flash for about 15 minutes when there is a new message. After that it is no longer a new message and it stops flashing...

SimpleSimon
01-01-2006, 09:47 AM
The green "LED Coverage Indicator" or "Bluetooth" will return after a period of time of receiving messages. I have never watched to find out how long. I simply turned of the green "LED Coverage Indicator" and now the red message indicator will stay on until I have read the messages. Bluetooth does not have an LED setting.

Tools | Options | Screen/Keyboard | LED Coverage Indicator to Off

sfo
01-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Boy Genius sure knows his stuff, but unless he's reconfigured his 8700, I'm with everyone else. Flashes red ten to fifteen minutes, then back to green.
But the message number indicator in the top left shows how many unread messages you have.

KonTiki
01-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Granted that mine is a 7250, but the red LED only flashes for about 15 minutes also and shuts off, Then when you unholster it you see the number of messages that are waiting for you.

peznut
01-01-2006, 12:40 PM
The green "LED Coverage Indicator" or "Bluetooth" will return after a period of time of receiving messages. I have never watched to find out how long. I simply turned of the green "LED Coverage Indicator" and now the red message indicator will stay on until I have read the messages. Bluetooth does not have an LED setting.

Tools | Options | Screen/Keyboard | LED Coverage Indicator to Off

SimpleSimon might be right. I hadn't putzed with the "LED Coverage Indicator" until reading this, but once I turn it off, the usual green LED ceases to flash. I assume that a message will trigger the red LED, but I haven't sent myself a test message yet to see if the 8700 behaves like my old 7290, i.e. the LED only flashed for messages but still turned off after roughly 15 minutes if I hadn't read the message...

Boy Genius
01-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Hmm...I have the LED Coverage indicator on, and no bluetooth. But if I have ann unread message, the LED will still blink red until I have read it...not sure what the deal it with that...I definatly think you guys are right aswell tho...maybe different software version?

Plus wht would the point of the LED indicator blinking red for only 15min? U put your blackberry down and get 4 new emails, come back 30min later see the green light blinking and don't bother to check it cuz there are "no emails" doesnt make sense to me...always on 7290 if I had unread email it would blink until I read it...who knows

RoadRider
01-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry if this is a duplicate post. Just tried it with a BT connection and without and the results were the same...red flashing LED stops after 15 minutes.

n1976jmk
01-01-2006, 09:37 PM
same with mine... red for 15 minutes then back to green.. was like this since i bought it. was wondering if anyone was gonna post a fix to this

RoadRider
01-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Agree with BG though. If you are not around in the 15 minute window, no notification. No good.