PDA

View Full Version : Cannot stop Facebook e-mail notifications from duplicating on device/Yahoo! inbox...

jrice8002003
06-08-2010, 09:16 PM
After a previous post proved unsuccessful (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/226671-how-do-i-stop-facebook-e-mails-my-yahoo-mail-inbox.html), I thought I'd try again in describing my problem, only this time more visually. Basically, about a month ago I had to re-install my Facebook app. In doing so, all of the sudden I'm getting Facebook notifications sent to:

the app on my phone
my Facebook account on my PC
and my Yahoo! inbox

I want the Yahoo! e-mails to stop...it never used to do this. If I uncheck the "e-mail" boxes on my Facebook account settings, I don't get notifications on my device or my Yahoo! inbox...so I'm pretty sure those need to stay checked. What I want is notifications sent to the Facebook app, and nothing sent to my Yahoo! inbox. Seems like it should be a simple fix, but I am at a loss for words on this one.

See below for some screenshots of every possible setting I could think of. Could someone compare my settings to their own and pinpoint the problem for me? I swear I've tried every possible combination of settings, uninstall/reinstall, hard pull, service books, etc, etc, etc. I'm going mad here!

jrice8002003
06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I guess my only solution is to wait it out until July 3rd when I'm eligible for upgrade...Bold 9650 is sounding sweet right about now...

MidnightDraven
06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
If your going to use the FB app, then you don't need FB Mobile.
I don't see the need to have FB notifications sent to email (as default) and then again as an SMS.

Facebook Mobile is for phones that don't have the application available, but do have WAP access.

jrice8002003
06-15-2010, 10:37 AM
My post had nothing to do with Facebook mobile or SMS notifications. Where did you get that? I simply posted PC screenshots of my account settings from my Facebook profile, as well as settings from the BlackBerry Facebook app...

And I actually do use Facebook mobile along with the Facebook app. I like the instant notifications through the app, but the mobile site is way better to look up a friend's profile, write on someone's wall, etc. The app is WAY too slow for that. My phone nearly explodes when trying to load my friends list. Also, the app doesn't notify you when someone "likes" your Facebook activity. The mobile site does.

jst
06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
The LinkedIn and Facebook apps actually works nicely - just don't integrate them with your core BlackBerry address book & calendar. We've seen this recently with client's smartphones, so just did a Blog post on the issues: http (colon) slash-slash bit.ly/b3P738

jrice8002003
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
My wife and I both got the new Bold from Verizon over the weekend. I'm still having the same issue described above, but she isn't. She uses Yahoo! Mail as well, and also has Facebook. I went through her options/settings on her BlackBerry Facebook app as well as the notifications/mobile settings on her Facebook account from a PC. Every setting is identical, but I'm still getting notifications through e-mail as well as through the Facebook app on my BlackBerry. I cannot figure this out.

Again, I'm only wanting to be notified through the Facebook app. I don't want duplicate e-mail notifications sent to my Yahoo! account. And just to clarify, I have my Yahoo! e-mail pushed to my BlackBerry, but I don't receive these Facebook e-mails on my phone...only when I log in to Yahoo! and check my mail from a PC do I see the duplicate Facebook notifications. It never used to do this...I can't understand what could have caused this issue, or why I can't resolve it.

Anyone else out there with this issue? I'm desperate over here!

MidnightDraven
06-23-2010, 04:43 AM
From the last pic you attached.
Facebook text messages are set to ON.
Hence why I said what I said.

The settings regarding email messages in yahoo inbox appear to be correct, because you have the "leave messages on mail server" unchecked.
I can only assume its possibly a facebook error while they mess around with things yet again.

jrice8002003
06-23-2010, 06:13 AM
From the last pic you attached.
Facebook text messages are set to ON.
Hence why I said what I said.

The settings regarding email messages in yahoo inbox appear to be correct, because you have the "leave messages on mail server" unchecked.
I can only assume its possibly a facebook error while they mess around with things yet again.

Gotcha. That setting has since been disabled after going through my wife's settings and seeing that she didn't have her mobile number activated in that area. So, I guess I'll just have to live with it for now.

jrice8002003
07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I found the solution to my problem, and thought I'd post a quick update for anyone else out there. When the Yahoo! contact sync function was pushed out a few days ago, I went to check it out. While I was in the settings area, I noticed that my wireless syncronization was un-checked. When I saw that, I realized that about the same time I had un-checked that box, the goofy situation described above started happening, and wondered if there was a correlation. I had originally un-checked wireless sync because I liked the fact that I could go through old e-mails on my device, while still being able to keep in clean inbox from my PC. I don't keep e-mails in my inbox from my PC, and like to delete things when I'm done with it. But I found it handy to have a backup on my device to be able to reference something later in the event that I did need something.

So anyway, I had to delete my e-mail accounts from my device, add them again, ensure that wireless sync was checked, then did a battery pull for good measure, and everything is now working like it once did. I'm getting Facebook notifications through the app, on my account from a PC, but nothing to my Yahoo! inbox. Sweet!