PDA

View Full Version : Why does my Wifi keep turning off?

Private_MitchConnor
06-13-2010, 06:46 AM
I have wifi in my house. And have the option to automatically connect to it while in range. And every now and then, the wifi just turns off, and in "Manage Connections" the check it gone from the wifi section. I don't get it. Full battery and phone still turn's wifi off. I can be right beside wireless router, and it'll still turn off sometimes. Like it even changes of wifi options?

BB : 8520

Private_MitchConnor
06-14-2010, 04:19 PM
150 views and no one has any idea why my phone keep turning off my wifi in the options even when in range? dang.

KOR
06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
150 views and no one has any idea why my phone keep turning off my wifi in the options even when in range? dang.

I've been having the same problem. I updated my OS to the latest version and, so far, it's keeping the connection. But, haven't had enough time to be sure that it's really working.

monkeypaw
06-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Just a guess, but I suspect that it's having some kind of connection problem and shuts off wifi to save power. The reason I say that is I've tried to connect to "open" wifi networks in public places before and while I let it try to do that and eat or whatever, I'll often look back at the phone to find that wifi turned off. It's not the same situation, but that's the situation when I've seen it turn off.

tsac
06-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Is this only at home? Check to se if you can operate ok at another WIFI location. It could be interference from another radio source in your house or area.
Is the WIFI secure or do you have an open router( no security selected) . Many things cause the signal to drop and unless it’s a defective router, you may have to do some further digging. I would start with router options like channel number and security options.

johnling
06-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I have wifi in my house. And have the option to automatically connect to it while in range. And every now and then, the wifi just turns off, and in "Manage Connections" the check it gone from the wifi section. I don't get it. Full battery and phone still turn's wifi off. I can be right beside wireless router, and it'll still turn off sometimes. Like it even changes of wifi options?

BB : 8520

Switch your router to channel 11. When this was happening to me a while back I found that somewhere. I cannot remember the logic or explination behind it. It worked for me, that's all I know. A search might find the explination.

KOR
06-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I've been having the same problem. I updated my OS to the latest version and, so far, it's keeping the connection. But, haven't had enough time to be sure that it's really working.

For what it's worth, the new OS appears to hold the signal better, but still takes a while to connect.

phantomtech
06-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Switch your router to channel 11. When this was happening to me a while back I found that somewhere. I cannot remember the logic or explination behind it. It worked for me, that's all I know. A search might find the explination.

You will want to use channel 1, 6 or 11. 1 and 11 do not overlap 6 so it is best to pick one of the "outside" channels. All US equipment on the 2.4GHz spectrum use 11 predefines channels. Most items are set to channel 6 in the middle of the "band", then next default is 1. 11 is not normally used as a default and therefore you will experience less interference on 11.

If your neighbor is using wifi also, you may want to set to a channel on the opposite end of the channel list then that of your neighbor.

Also, using security on a router is smart, but with the security, comes more overhead. If you are getting interferance then the security header of each packet could be getting messed up and in turn will not be accepted by your router. One way around this is run an open router but limit access to the router to only specific MAC addresses. This will make your network appear open, but it is actually harder to break into because the router will not allow any machine onto the wireless network unless you have manually entered the MAC address into the router. This will also improve network performance as you do not have the begining and ending secuiruty information on each packet.

As for the original poster... switching channels is a smart idea, but that may not be your only issue. You may want to ensure that you are using the most up to date OS on your phone.

jmwking
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm curious: I have a Storm 2, and WiFi never unchecks itself - I have to manually uncheck it to disable it.

My BB may drop a wifi connection if I wander too far away from an access point, but as soon as I come back in range, it reconnects itself. And as I wander farther afield, it will connect to any remembered WiFi access point I happen upon.

So my question: Is automagical unchecking a normal behavior in other models?

-jk

vliou
06-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Pls post which OS version you are using so we can try to consolidation some info. I've heard this with two of my customers in the last week and am working on this as well

BBDetective
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Better question is why does the blackberry tour that verizon sold to me advertised as the be-all-end-all blackberry not even HAVE WiFi??

vliou
06-26-2010, 01:05 AM
because it's Verizon lol