PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express - problems

emilian
06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Hello,

I installed Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010 and BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express. If I connect the phone 9700 with the usb cable at the BES server, the phone communicates (sends messages and email between users) with the Web Desktop Manager. If I try to connect the phone on the wireless or a data plan (apn), the phone doesn't communicate. On the phone communication settings I met an e-mail accont which existed on exchange, the ip of the bes server and the user's password; the firewall is disabled. What else should I check?
The phone has ping with the bes server.

Thank you in advance.

penguin3107
06-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan provisioned on the wireless account?
Not just any data plan... a BLACKBERRY data plan.

emilian
06-15-2010, 02:19 PM
But with the phone I can navigate on the internet, instant messaging, I installed applications. The "BLACKBERRY data plan" is not in the BES server?

PS1. When I refer to previous post to the wireless, I wanted to say wi-fi.
PS2.

Wireless activations > View activations
Display name PIN IT policy Device model Last contact date
user abcdefg Policy 9700 6/16/10 6:22:30 PM

Dubdub
06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Moved to the BES Admin section.

emilian
06-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Can anyone explain to me how it works the "BLACKBERRY data plan"? What software uses a provider to give a "BLACKBERRY data plan"?

emilian
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Can someone answer me?

Thank you

knottyrope
06-16-2010, 02:12 PM
What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F)

The BlackBerry dataplan allows the device to connect to RIM infrastructure via the carriers network.

emilian
06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Sorry for my stupid questions, but for a generic plan, an provider uses ggsn (sgsn, etc) equipments and related software. For a BlackBerry data plan (BIS or BES), what uses?

TargetIT
06-16-2010, 03:47 PM
A BES plan is different not by the technology that is used to carry the data, but because it allows the RIM infrastructure to be used. The BES plan typically costs more because the carrier has to pay RIM a licensing fee.

In other words, your carrier should know exactly what needs to be done if you ask them, "Do I have a regular data plan, or a BES data plan?" You need the latter.

emilian
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
My carrier doesn't have BIS and BES data plans. :cry: I have to move to another carrier.

But for example, my carrier contact and pay RIM a licensing fee. RIM gives permission to the carrier to access the RIM servers, that permit my phone to communicate with BESE that I installed? RIM's server is like a proxy servers?
If I wan't to receive a sms when I receive a email in my domain environment, who sends the sms? RIM network or my carrier? My carrier use a ase subscriber to do that?

Thank you for the answers

TargetIT
06-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Basically. A simple example of what happens when you send an email from outside of the company to your BES enabled BB:

Other Company's Email Server->Internet->Your email server->Your BES Server->Internet->RIM->Your Carrier->Your phone

Reverse the process if you reply.

emilian
06-16-2010, 07:00 PM
But if I want to receive a sms alert when I receive emails? My email server (exchange in a domain enviroment) is not hosted by the carrier. Is there a software that I connected to the carrier to send sms alert? smpp protocol?
Thank you

TargetIT
06-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Well, BES in a round about way. You're not receiving SMS alerts BTW - totally different technology, and it's dependant on the what technology the carrier uses (CDMA, GSM... etc).

Keep reading up on the documentation - clearly English isn't your 1st language, perhaps something in your native language might help clarify.

fencepost
06-25-2010, 02:51 PM
I could be missing something here (haven't paid much attention until asked this week by a customer) but isn't part of the advantage of the Express Server that it lets you get a subset of the BES features without having to have a BES data plan?

penguin3107
06-25-2010, 03:29 PM
but isn't part of the advantage of the Express Server that it lets you get a subset of the BES features without having to have a BES data plan?

Yes. You don't need a BES data plan, but you still need a BlackBerry Data Plan of some sort.
A BIS plan will do for most users.