PDA

View Full Version : Is there a free app that does a hard reboot so u don't have to pull battery?

Lotus99
06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Instead of having to do a battery pull I was hoping to run an app off the desktop. I've got a Pearl 8100. Battery cover's broken now, so I have it taped, and it's a PITA to have to take off the tape each time...

Muchas gracias!

jsconyers
06-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Look at QuickPull.

Lotus99
06-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks, you're awesome! After some searching, I found one called SoftReset supposedly at Geekandproud, but it seems to have been pulled from their site. This one looks slick and it's available at BB App World too.

There's a Pro version too for $3, but the free one seems to have all the functionality like memory monitoring and scheduled pulls, so not sure why one would get that.

Tried it once and it works!

EDIT: Found this link about Pro vs Free. It says memory monitoring doesn't come with the Free one, but I can confirm it does.

fratts
06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Press Left Alt + Right Caps + Del key to do a soft reboot. If you press that key combination again as the device is starting up, it simulates a hard reboot.

Dubdub
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Nothing really beats the ol' battery pull however.

MidnightDraven
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Especially if QuickPull itself messes up, then you have to a battery pull.

Lotus99
06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks, you're awesome! After some searching, I found one called SoftReset supposedly at Geekandproud, but it seems to have been pulled from their site. This one looks slick and it's available at BB App World too.

There's a Pro version too for $3, but the free one seems to have all the functionality like memory monitoring and scheduled pulls, so not sure why one would get that.

Tried it once and it works!

EDIT: Found this link about Pro vs Free. It says memory monitoring doesn't come with the Free one, but I can confirm it does.

The Free version even lets you customize the scheduled reboots, like weekly ones, etc. that the Pro only supposedly lets you.

So far the program itself works just fine (I'm on 4.5.0.182 by the way) as well as the memory monitoring. It's already warned me once that I'm below 10 MB and asked if I wanted to do a reboot.

Pretty cool! (y)

Trimix
06-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (L'neuf trois)

I was under the impression that the ALT+Shift+del combination only works on devices with QWERTY keyboards. Tried that before on both an 8100 and 8120, didn't work.

JoelDF
07-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Press Left Alt + Right Caps + Del key to do a soft reboot. If you press that key combination again as the device is starting up, it simulates a hard reboot.

The 81xx's don't have the same keyboard as the other BBs - that combination doesn't exist on the Pearls

I was under the impression that the ALT+Shift+del combination only works on devices with QWERTY keyboards. Tried that before on both an 8100 and 8120, didn't work.

Technically, the Pearl is a QWERTY keyboard too, only condensed. But, some of the doubled keys on regular keyboard BBs aren't on the Pearl. That "ALT+Shift+del" combination is close to the "Left Alt + Right Caps + Del" combination since the Pearl has only one Alt key (and it is on the left side) and only one shift key (and it is, somewhat, on the right) - but, no, it doesn't work.