PDA

View Full Version : New user considering Blackberry

firechicken
01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I figured if anyone could help you would. I am a supervisory law enforcement officer and have a Motorola V551 with the Cingular network. I use my phone while on duty. My phone typically take some abuse regularly.

I used to own a Palm T2 but got rid of it after the digitizer broke. I am now looking at getting a Blackberry 7280 used.

I would be using the phone to hold my e-mail from my office Outlook as well as store some photo's for work, keep all my appointments as well as our "community calendar" and small document files. I am not interested in wireless e-mail. I would like to only sync with a USB cable. In your opinion will the Blackberry fit my needs? Are there any special concerns that I should weigh first?

Thanks for any and all help.

whsbuss
01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I figured if anyone could help you would. I am a supervisory law enforcement officer and have a Motorola V551 with the Cingular network. I use my phone while on duty. My phone typically take some abuse regularly.

I used to own a Palm T2 but got rid of it after the digitizer broke. I am now looking at getting a Blackberry 7280 used.

I would be using the phone to hold my e-mail from my office Outlook as well as store some photo's for work, keep all my appointments as well as our "community calendar" and small document files. I am not interested in wireless e-mail. I would like to only sync with a USB cable. In your opinion will the Blackberry fit my needs? Are there any special concerns that I should weigh first?

Thanks for any and all help.

I think you best bet is to get another PDA like the Palm. The Blackberry is geared towards wireless email delivery. Storing photos can only be accomplished by email attachment or web browsing.

d_fisher
01-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Or maybe a smart phone that you can add files\pictures to via a USB connection.

Doug

torifile
01-04-2006, 02:09 PM
For what you need, I'd recommend going another route. You might also want to consider whether getting anything other than a phone is right for you. These are expensive devices with large screens. While the BB is rugged, it's definitely not as rugged as a solid cell phone.

If you're still interested in doing a converged device, the Treo might be good for you. It's pretty decent as a phone and will do what you need pretty well. Although my warning about the ruggedness of the device still holds... Good luck. :)

dranger
01-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree. A Blackberry would not be for you (though I think trying wireless email would get anyone hooked:) and there's nothing better than a Blackberry for that!)

Check ou the Audiovox 5600. It's a regular cell phone (though not a clamshell design) that runs Windows Mobile. Small and durable with lots of capabilities, but expensive. Treos are too big and the keypads are horrid. Just my opinion, though...Happy shopping!

Baldric
01-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Try looking at http://www.blackberry.com/products/builtin_connect.shtml and http://www.blackberry.com/uk/products/builtin_connect.shtml - some of these may suit you?