PDA

View Full Version : Water Damage...


momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I just bought a Blackberry Tour about a month ago; I had to pay $100 dollars because my Curve had water damage somehow. Anyway, yesterday I was at some park when it started to storm terribly. Two friends and I decided to walk to a building and try to wait out the storm. After 10 minutes and it did not get any better we just decided to walk home. My phone was ringing the whole way home, but I never took it out of my pocket. The only time I touched it was to press the two side buttons to silence the ringtone..once. My friends were kicking up water some of the way there so that may have gotten the phone wetter than it would have been. My pants were drenched, regardless. Anyway, when we got home we tried our phones. Both of my friends' phones worked; however, when I tried mine, none of my buttons worked. So, I took out the battery and put it back in..then the screen would only light up if I got a message or if I put it in the charger. I took the battery out again and set it out in a dry place, then tried it again. Same deal. Finally decided to put it in a bag of uncooked rice for a few hours. Same deal. I left the house and got my brother to keep trying the rice thing, and to try putting it under the desk lamp, and try the blowdry deal. Came home, same deal. Screen turns on, buttons don't work..except for the back button..but when I press that it types a bunch of numbers. I kept it in the bucket of rice all night, I plan on checking it within the next 4 hours or so. If that doesn't work, does anyone know any other technique I could try? I heard of a few people putting it in the oven for a few hours..as crazy as it may sound..but according to them it worked. I want to try a few things before I have to resort to buying a new one. My guess would be water got under the keypad.

Michelle352009
07-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Take battery and media card out, lay it on its side somehow propping it up and turn a dryer on LOW heat about 2 feet away (on its side on floor) from it pointing it at phone, I also laid my battery so it got a little heat. Check it frequently so it doesn't get too hot.
I about died because its my life line and THANK GOD it worked!!!

Also make sure it is completely dried and cooled before you put the batter back in!! Good Luck!!

Dubdub
07-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Water and BB doesn't mix. If the battery was in and the device was on, it is most likely toast and the motherboard is fried.

Kindly do a search and see if you can find any helpful advice that way. However, IMHO, you need another device as that one is done for.

NJBlackBerry
07-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Good advice for both of you.. Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Got_Your_BlackBerry_Wet%3F)

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Okay, I just took it out of the rice..buttons still do not work. Currently laying it out in the sun. Thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming.

MidnightDraven
07-18-2010, 10:18 AM
It got wet yesterday and you've JUST taken it out of rice?
You've got to leave it for like 4 days, as it states in the FAQ

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 10:25 AM
4 days? I've heard many different times, between overnight to 24 hours to 48 hours to a week. I'm just anxious to know if I have to fork out another 100 dollars to buy a new phone. Thought I should point out that the water sticker on my battery is white..but the one in my phone is red.

NJBlackBerry
07-18-2010, 10:25 AM
You've got to leave it for like 4 days, as it states in the FAQ
Maybe it was really good rice.

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Maybe it was really good rice.

What is your advice? You seem to be some sort of an expert with your 9700 posts haha

tsac
07-18-2010, 10:29 AM
This is the instant gratification generation and waiting more than minutes is excessive to them. If the OP had not been inpatient and waited for it to dry in the rice ( 4 days) and left the battery out not checking to see if he had any messages, he would not be buying a third Blackberry.
Anyone want to take bets he goes for a fourth in the near future.

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Okay, any helpful posts?

Motorcycle Mama
07-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Get your $100 ready. You put the battery back in too soon. Damage done.

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Get your $100 ready. You put the battery back in too soon. Damage done.

So it's basically unfixable?

NJBlackBerry
07-18-2010, 10:54 AM
You can try drying it out in the rice for 4-5 days and see, but once the damage is done, it is likely unrepairable.

And I DID give you advice in post #4.

tsac
07-18-2010, 10:54 AM
pull the battery and try the rice again but for 4 days. You have nothing to lose.
and NJ did give you this advice.

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
You can try drying it out in the rice for 4-5 days and see, but once the damage is done, it is likely unrepairable.

And I DID give you advice in post #4.

I guess I'll try that. And yes I saw that, I meant like personal advice.

tsac
07-18-2010, 11:02 AM
slow down and carry a plastic bag with you in the future.

aiharkness
07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Wirelessly posted

slow down and carry a plastic bag with you in the future.

Ditto. There have been several of these "I walked home in the rain" posts in the past week. Why doesn't it occur to anyone to remove the battery beforehand when they know the blackberry is going to get wet? But carrying a ziplock bag folded in a pocket would also be a good idea if you know it's possible you'll get caught in the rain. Or carry a rain jacket.

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
The weird thing it wasn't even calling for rain. And I guess I didn't expect it to get wet through my pocket.

Motorcycle Mama
07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I guess I'll try that. And yes I saw that, I meant like personal advice.
slow down and carry a plastic bag with you in the future.
Especially when you already had to replace one device due to water damage.

Should have learned the lesson from that one.

Hopefully, you have learned it from this one.

Good luck.

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Especially when you already had to replace one device due to water damage.

Should have learned the lesson from that one.

Hopefully, you have learned it from this one.

Good luck.

I'm not even sure why my Curve had water damage..it never got rained on really. One day it just stopped working and it had the red sticker.

Dubdub
07-18-2010, 01:26 PM
No matter how it got wet, it apparently did. Not much that you can do now, other than replace it.

momoegy6x
07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
alright, thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna try laying it out in the sun for a little and see what happens. It seems to be more responsive now.