PDA

View Full Version : 8110 GPS antenna

Liteace
07-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi All, does anyone know or have had a problem with the internal GPS antenna, can it become dislodged, Ive had the phone for 3 years, 2 years ago I used the GPS I needed to use it last week but I cound not get it working. When I go to

setting\advanced opptions\GPS

then menu "refresh GPS" I get "scanning for satellites", after aprox 2-5 mins the scan is done but I get the message "GPS Location update failed". I even tried doing a scan on a beach well away from any tall buildings but still nothing ?

Thanks
Steve

aiharkness
07-24-2010, 08:07 AM
It is possible something with the gps hardware is broken. But first, did you try a hard reset? (With the power on, remove the battery for at least 30 seconds. Then try again.)

Liteace
07-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Ive done that a few times and its still the same ?

Thanks
Steve

aiharkness
07-24-2010, 08:17 AM
The sky is clear, not overcast?

Dubdub
07-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Weather doesn't affect the GPS signal. Tall buildings, tree cover etc., can however.

Do you have a data connection? The device needs to download the GPS ephemeris tables so it knows which satellites to look for and where they are.

Do you have "Location Services" on?

Try to d/l Google maps so it can find you initially with cell tower data. Knowing where you are within a couple miles seems to help get a good lock. Can take 20 minutes or more for a good GPS fix.

aiharkness
07-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Sorry, but I've been in severly overcast weather with fog and couldn't get a fix. When it cleared, I was good. Makes me think heavy cloud cover could do the same thing, so thought it was worth asking.