PDA

View Full Version : WI-FI IP/Hostname Routing through Blackberry: Ramifications?

brownky
07-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi;

We are gradually expanding our blackberry user base, and as a sidetrack to that, deploying WiFi for the users; Now when running some tests (Namely, Ipchicken), we came back with the external hostname address being routed through some blackberry servers - *.rdns.blackberry.net.

The device IS being registered on the wireless station, and as far as I can tell, the traffic is being routed out of our gateway - THEN onto blackberry servers, and finally onto the net. The odd thing is that the external IP changes frequently when connecting like this.

I thought it may be carrier related, so I disabled the wi-fi (and just used the Telus-powered Blackberry Browser, as opposed to the Wi-Fi powered BB) and got a different IP and hostname combination.

We are not currently running a BES.

Now I'm not particularly concerned yet, but I'm wondering about the ramifications (possible security, possible downtime?) of having internet traffic running through the blackberry webservers.

Also, if there's an option hidden somewhere that can change that, I'd love to know where it is.

Thanks in advance, everybody.

brownky
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I should clarify, by *.rdns.blackberry.net, I should say "...*.rdns.blackberry.net" - prior to the (presumably) DNS location, it's just an IP buried in dashes.

hrbuckley
07-28-2010, 12:36 PM
What you are probably seeing is BIS data being routed over Wi-Fi by the service routing protocol which tries to use the least cost method of communications.