PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Send MMS Messages on 7100i

noochs
01-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I recently upgraded from the 7520 to the 7100i. One of the things I liked about the 7100i was the ability to send text messages. For some reason everytime I try to send an MMS message, I get a big red X and the message is never sent. Please help!

-Thanks

dranger
01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm confused. Are you trying to send a text message or a multi-media message? I know that it seems as if they are the same thing, but they aren't.

Nextel User
01-05-2006, 07:15 PM
do you want to send an MMS (similar to SMS)? you will get charged seperately for those depending on your plan. that are not included in the unlimited data plan. (maybe some are) you need to send it to a phone number eg.. MMS to 3105252524

noochs
01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
As a newbie to the 7100i, I thought that MMS was the same as a text message or SMS message. I have tried sending an MMS message to a phone number and that is when I get the big red X. Is there a different way to send a text message ?

dranger
01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
An mms usually is a picture or something similar. An sms is text only and limited to 160 characters per message. To send an SMS, select messages, then click the scroll wheel in. You should be presented with a list of options on the right. One of those options should be "compose SMS." Select you receiving party, then compose your message. Click the scroll when when you are finished and select "send."

If this is what isn't working, you can't send SMS. Try going to tools>settings>SMS and check to see if your SMS settings are correct (all carriers are different).

You can also refer to your user's manual for additional instruction.

southwestcomm
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
You can use MMS to send text only messages. The 7100 doesn't support sending SMS. In fact all iDEN handsets are now provisioned for MMS.
The unlimited BB plan includes 100 messages per month - sent and received.
I would call customer care and make certain your device was provisioned correctly.

SimpleComplex
01-06-2006, 03:39 AM
First-off, I think you may be experiencing those "bugs" we're all complaining about with our 7100i's. There are a couple threads that I've seen them in and have shared my "problems" in (use search "nextel" "bug" "network", or similar).

Anyway, we've had signal-reconnection issues with the 7100i where one moment, you can send SMS/MMS and then later you can't, or it delays and eventually shows a red X, then if you "resend" it, it'll work. It's just been acting dumb. {Shrug}

Then about the SMS/MMS issue. I guess, the best explanation I got from Nextel on this is that, as everyone has said, the 7100i can only present you the option to "Compose MMS" --though there's a setting labeled "SMS" basically, you will never have a "Compose SMS" option. But I digress. Back to Nextel; basically, I was freaked thinking I couldn't send SMS because I use it so much. But I was told to calm down and as long as I don't attach anything to my "MMS" it'll be considered an SMS by the Nextel network and, thus, be charged accordingly -- for example, from my allotment of the additional text message plan (500) that I pay for.

Hope this helps. Keep the faith --those of us on Nextel have been having ups and downs with the message-sending. Ugh.

:)

Mr Pink57
01-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

Also keep in mind that the unlimited bb plan only supports INCOMING messages, and not sent. Also when this happens to me I go to Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, Click Trackwheel, and select Register now. Also a good ol master reset works to, or pulling the battery out and doing a hard reset. pink

martin_j001
01-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Like Pink said, the unlimited plan only covers incoming messages. Sending MMS is another story, you will be charged for every MMS message you send--even if its text only it will still count as sending an MMS message. Nextel BB's are simply incapable of sending an SMS message. An MMS without pictures is not the same as an SMS--its an Enhanced Text Message, and you will be charged for sending it!!!

noochs
01-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I only have the option to send MMS messages. My concern (at least not yet) is not the fact that I will have to pay more for MMS, rather that when I try to send an MMS message to a phone number it comes back with a big red X. I have tried some of the things ie: taking battery out, master radio reset, etc. nothing seems to be working. I noticed it was mentioned that perhaps I have to be provisioned for SMS. On my 7520 I didnt have to do anything. Maybe I should call Nextel?

Thank you all for your help!

TAXFREE
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm having the same issues with sending MMS messages, I get a little sending icon only to have it turn to a red X with-in 30 seconds. I then try and do a re-send and get the mini clock icon only to have it turn to a red X with-in 30 seconds.

If any of us find a issue or resolution with it please post fix

Nextel User
01-06-2006, 03:13 PM
guys, PIN me your phone numbers and i will send an MMS to you. then you can try to reply. that might help.

i have a feeling that MMS messages are set up in the minutes plans and have nothing at all to do with the data plan.
i am still on a unlimited incoming plan and i can send MMS

noochs
01-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I sent you a PIN, were you able to receive it? I didn't get a red X when I did that.

Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions.

-Noochs

martin_j001
01-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Everyone that is getting the red X's, check your service books. Options, Advanced, Service Books, to make sure you have a "MMS service book". If its there, delete it. Then, log into BWC and resend service books. After that, do a reset and are if that helps at all....

SimpleComplex
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm speaking from experience of even having reviewed my detailed billing that I am not being charged for sending text-only MMS messages as an "enhanced text message" unless of course that's just jargon that I'm not up to speed on. Bottom line is, my BB Plan plus minutes plan plus my "500 Text Message" plan take care of ALL my receiving and sending needs. Perhaps it's because I'm in a Nextel franchise area (Nextel Partners) but nonetheless, my "text only" MMS's are not being charged at an additional rate.

martin_j001
01-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

^^ and this is because you have added a text package to your blackberry unlimited plan. I would hope that if you do that you aren't charged for them....seems like that would be the whole point of adding a text plan, correct?

SimpleComplex
01-07-2006, 08:05 PM
You're right in the sense that I have added a plan to not be charged; and honestly, I am not trying to be antagonistic, but I guess my point is I have purchased a "Text Message 500" plan. Not an MMS plan, which is also available through our Nextel franchise. So my point is, anyone else who is a heavy SMS user shouldn't have to expect to pay for MMS plans and/or one-off charges if he/she is not going to use them. I could relate to what the original poster was saying because I was frantic trying to imagine how much I'd have to pay if all-of-a-sudden my SMS/text messages would now be charged at the MMS rate. And, again, back to my point: Since the "plain old Text 500 plan" works for me, I thought I'd share that bit of information.

martin_j001
01-07-2006, 11:01 PM

I want being argumentative either, sorry if it came off that way. I was just making the point that if people want to send messages out of their bb at all, they will need to pay for a plan of some kind, or be charged per message. A poster had previously said that they were told that a text only MMS is considered SMS, which isn't true...its an "enhanced text message". You will be charged $.10 for each of those sent if you don't have the texting plan you mention. MMS messages which include pictures or sounds will be charged at $.25 each if I'm not mistaken. You can receive up to 100 SMS or MMS messages per month without being charged for them, but every message sent will be charged for....

CBR900RR
01-08-2006, 12:44 AM
I recently upgraded from the 7520 to the 7100i. One of the things I liked about the 7100i was the ability to send text messages. For some reason everytime I try to send an MMS messege, I get a big red X and the message is never sent. Please help!

-Thanks
I am a newbies and just had my 7105t for a couple days, first problem I en-counter is sending text message and it doesn't go thru and I get a red X on the message, I call tmobile and they told me to TOOLS>SETTING>SMS>NETWORK TO SEND OVER>GSM.

I have to change from GPRS to GSM and text message work fine.

Also during that time, I don't have any BB data plan, just the 400min family plan, only send SMS show up on the phone, after I sign up the BB data plan and receive the service book from tmobile, I have the option SEND MMS on my phone.

Don't know if that apply to you, hopes it help.

friendship7
01-08-2006, 01:27 AM
In the begining of the 7100i customer care was forgetting to add the special
SOC for the added feature of MMS messaging - Now days their adding it immediately. So if your getting the red X then call customer care and ask them to add (provision your service) the MMS SOC but before you thank them... try & send a message to a phone (phone number) to see if it works.

friendship7

noochs
01-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Provisioning was the problem! I contacted Nextel and they were able to resolve the issue quickly. Thank you all for your assistance!

siennaberry
05-15-2006, 06:24 PM
When everyone says "Unlimited" plan, do they mean the data plan? So is a data plan needed for MMS, then? That sucks, I might have to bring my 7100i back.

BaseballADAN3191
05-15-2006, 07:31 PM
as f0r the red X u recieve....i get it al0t t00..just restart ur blakbery and it sh00d werk...

RedSox911
05-17-2006, 01:09 AM
MMS messages which include pictures or sounds will be charged at $.25 each if I'm not mistaken. You can receive up to 100 SMS or MMS messages per month without being charged for them, but every message sent will be charged for....

I'm not too happy about this. I just purchased my 7100i today and asked the nextel representative if text messaging was unlimited with the $40 data plan and was told that YES it is, now I'm to believe that it's not free and will be charged .25 for every text message sent?

I'm soooo confused with this new machine as well and am not sure if I made the right decision by switching from my i860.

siennaberry
05-17-2006, 10:24 AM
I know how you feel. It seems that to even ENABLE MMS, you need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan, but having a BlackBerry Data plan does not give you free MMS unless you use email to send them (ie 15463394403@<hidden> or whatever). You still need to pay the $5/mo to get 100 messages if you want to send pure, plain old non-internet text messages from the NEXTEL BlackBerries.

Furthermore, NEXTEL says that you are required to have a BB Internet plan with your BB device on their network, but their shopping cart and Authorized Sellers do not enforce this. If I am able to checkout without the data plan by just unchecking the respective checkbox, I'm going to make the correct assumption that it's their problem, not mine.

But I'm sure the BB has grown on you. Mine has. If you're willing to use @<hidden>, then you don't need to purchase a message package in addition to your BB Data Plan.

It's frustrating when the company you're dealing with doesn't even know what they're selling.