PDA

View Full Version : No apps for blackberry 8300

prasannashroti
07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a blackberry 8300 and I recently upgraded all its software using the desktop manager, and since I do not have a data plan right now, I went to a link on the appworld with an option to download via the desktop by connecting the blackberry, but when I do connect, it gives a message saying that this software is not supported.

Now I want to find out

1) are apps supported in blackberry 8300 ?(I know I would need access to the web or the apps to be of any use to me), but for now I just want to figure out if I have got a bad deal.

2) is there any FREE app that will allow me to edit MS office files and/or PDFs?

Many thanks for your replies, I will surely mark this as resolved when I get an answer.

MidnightDraven
07-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Without a Blackberry data plan, app world will not work.

aiharkness
07-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm not really familiar with downloading from an appworld website via a computer and then installing with desktop manager to the blackberry. If that's what you are talking about and it can be done, then I'll take your word for it. However, it's hard to believe there would be any app from appworld that would work without a blackberry data plan, regardless of how you were able to install it on the blackerry.

The free version of doc's to go is included with the newer OS versions. I don't remember exactly when it started.... maybe with version 4.5? That will allow you to view, and maybe edit, existing documents. If you have it on your blackberry, see if you can edit and existing document. You will need the premium version to create documents, I believe.

prasannashroti
07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks Midnight and Ira, however, what I wanted to know was whether these apps would all work in BB 8300 or not? Also I am not able to edit docs in Docs to Go, and there is absolutely nothing for excel sheets in them as well as pdfs

aiharkness
07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
When you are downloading from app world, you should get an error if you are trying to install an app that is not compatible with your device or OS version. I know this because I tried to install one of my purchased apps that was still showing in my world, and it wasn't supported for OS 5. I would assume that app world on the device would only show you apps supported for your BlackBerry, but I don't know for sure.

All bets are off if you are downloading via a computer for a desktop install. You are going to have to research the app yourself and make sure it supports your device and OS version.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

tsac
08-01-2010, 09:52 AM
It is available on the 8300 BB's with the OS upgrade but as stated above the App is very limited. You might try sending a file to the BB via email then doing the edit. It does not allow the creation of any new files.

The main issue is you need a Blackberry Data plan to do any of this.

jgrobert
11-27-2010, 03:01 PM
does anyone know if there are any FREE apps for 8300?

aiharkness
11-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Yes.

Have you even looked yourself yet?

tsac
11-27-2010, 07:25 PM
No Soup For You

Trimix
11-27-2010, 10:07 PM

Oh I know this one! The answer is ummm....yes.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile