PDA

View Full Version : So who/what does one trust?

awluck
08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Is there a risk from installing phone software from certain providers (Saudi Arabia)(UAE)(India)(China)(built in holes)?

How secure are US-based Blackberry services? (From USGov, etc.)

Small business based BES Express more secure than BIS?

Does RIM retain messages or remnants to/from BES services?

JSanders
08-01-2010, 10:52 PM
1. There's no risk in installing device operating systems from one carrier or the next, all of them are developed by RIM. The carriers only vary the OS with the language files to include for their clientele.

2. I don't understand your question or concern.

3. More secure in what way?

4. No.

TXLady
08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
JSanders, wasn't there a supposed "update" pushed from the UAE carrier (Estilat?) last year that actually was a monitoring program instead of an actual software update? So while there would not be a risk to installing OS updates, the risk would be if the carrier tried to push something and tell users that it was an update.

JSanders
08-02-2010, 10:28 AM
JSanders, wasn't there a supposed "update" pushed from the UAE carrier (Estilat?) last year that actually was a monitoring program instead of an actual software update? So while there would not be a risk to installing OS updates, the risk would be if the carrier tried to push something and tell users that it was an update.

If I recall correctly, the UAE carrier Etisalat sent out an SMS message to it's subscribers which slyly recommended the installation of an operating system update, and directed users to a link which DID NOT upgrade the operating system but installed a snooping software on the device.

So, my answers above are correct.

But people, however gullible, need to know what they are doing to their devices and what they are loading.

TXLady
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
If I recall correctly, the UAE carrier Etisalat sent out an SMS message to it's subscribers which slyly recommended the installation of an operating system update, and directed users to a link which DID NOT upgrade the operating system but installed a snooping software on the device.

So, my answers above are correct.

But people, however gullible, need to know what they are doing to their devices and what they are loading.

That's for sure. Unfortunately, when you can't even trust your carrier, it makes it awfully easy for otherwise cautious people to become gullible.