PDA

View Full Version : Help: Google Apps without Data Plan

sjley2000
08-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi - i had a iphone 3G data plan, but lost my iphone so i am now trying to use an old blackberry (8707g) under the same plan.

I would like to install the google apps but i can't find any place where I can download the COD files.

I have also tried using User Agent change on Firefox to download the respective JAD files but it won't install without the COD files.

Can someone help? I have googled the net for solutions but the workarounds have been written a while back and does not really apply.

Many thanks!
SJ

akosnitzky
08-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Hopefully someone with a different experience will respond, but all of my experiences with google apps are over the air which required me to use my blackberry browser and a data plan. :-( Maybe someone will have a different solution for you

dc/dc
08-06-2010, 09:19 AM
You really need to get a BlackBerry data plan or a new iPhone.

akosnitzky
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
You really need to get a BlackBerry data plan or a new iPhone.

I guess Google doesnt offer other options because they want to protect their product.

Motorcycle Mama
08-06-2010, 10:50 AM
All the Google BlackBerry apps require a BlackBerry Data Plan.

levidos
08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
why? I don't understand the idea... can't just use the WiFi connection when available?

akosnitzky
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F)

Grimlin
08-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Even if you install them on your device, they will not work without a BlackBerry data plan. The application developer has a choice about what transports they use. It appears that Google always selects to go through the BlackBerry infrastructure. Even when you are over connecting over WiFi, it is going through the RIM NOC. There are several applications that allow for direct TCP connections and will use WiFi directly as well. I haven't found a single Google app that works that way though. They would need to be disassembled and the network connection string would need to be modified. Although it could be done, I doubt anyone would post it.