PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry service from someone other than cellular service provider?

sean.g
01-08-2006, 10:03 AM
have a blackberry 7520 with cellular service with nextel, but cancelled my blackberry service. Is it possible to activate the blackberry service with another provider, preferably with a shared blackberry enterprise server, without notifying nextel and having to pay them an extra 40 bucks a month?

If so, any suggestions on a cheap provider with 2 gigs or better of storage?

Any and all comments are appreciated, unless it's nextel telling me to pay up.

Sean

Berry One
01-08-2006, 10:25 AM
have a blackberry 7520 with cellular service with nextel, but cancelled my blackberry service. Is it possible to activate the blackberry service with another provider,

Nextel is a special case and the network they use is pretty much Nextel-only, with minor exceptions.

Considering discounts you can get on new device for new contract, I suggest you just buy new blackberry with new contract from any provider you like.

preferably with a shared blackberry enterprise server,

To my knowledge, no providers offer shared BES. If you want to sign for shared BES feature from companies offering it, type of blackberry and carrier it is on will not matter.

If so, any suggestions on a cheap provider with 2 gigs or better of storage?

If under "storage" you mean storage for blackberry emails, your only choice today is T-Mobile, as only they offer unlimited blackberry mailbox.
Also, the are cheap (as in affordable) provider.

Any and all comments are appreciated, unless it's nextel telling me to pay up.

What's wrong with Nextel?

rcbjr
01-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't think you can get any Blackberry service without going through your cellular provider. Any hosted BES service will be in addition to the cellular fees.

Hope this helps, but I know it's not what you wanted to hear.
Rcbjr

Jase88
01-08-2006, 01:57 PM
The monthly fees for Blackberry mostly cover the data costs (i.e. traffic) on the carrier's network.

And as mentioned above, hosted BES service sounds like what you need.