PDA

View Full Version : multiple email accounts?

Chris K
08-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Is it possible to connect more than one email account to my bb
Like one outlook account + hotmail account
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

rambo47
08-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Yes! You can have one enterprise account and up to 10 additional accounts. I have 5 email accounts on my BlackBerry, all through BIS. No enterprise account for me as work does not run BES.

Chris K
08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
So if I already have one outlook email using enterprise server set up (my works email) then I can also add 2 hotmail/live.co.uk email accounts?

Would these just carry email and not interfere with my works email, calendar and contacts?

Could you point me in the right direction for setting up a hotmail/live.co.uk account?

TXLady
08-17-2010, 02:02 PM
On mine, it is under Setup / Email Settings. Don't know if it may vary by carrier. Options shown include Yahoo!, Gmail, AOL, Windows Live (includes Hotmail), and Other. I believe if you choose other, you will need the server info.

Should have no effect on your work email, calendar, contacts, etc.

Chris K
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
I've added two hotmail account which work fine but although they have their own separate inbox which is great - all email is also going to my main/works inbox *aswell* - is there anyway to stop that happening?

TXLady
08-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Yes. The main messages folder will get everything unless you tell it you don't want it all delivered there. (And it is the ONLY folder that BES email goes to.)

Open the main message folder. From menu, select Options, then Inbox Settings. Uncheck the items that you do not want displayed in this folder.

MidnightDraven
08-17-2010, 03:21 PM
TXLady instructions only work on OS5.
The 8520 doesn't come with OS 5, so you may need to upgrade, if you havent already.

Chris K
08-17-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't have 'inbox settings' on options menu

TXLady
08-17-2010, 03:48 PM
TXLady instructions only work on OS5.
The 8520 doesn't come with OS 5, so you may need to upgrade, if you havent already.

I don't have 'inbox settings' on options menu

Sorry -- did not realize OP was on an older OS. I don't have any bb's around with anything except 5.X on them.

Chris K
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
No worries - I've hidden the two new boxes and all my mail comes thru the one inbbox which is great
It flashes when any mail comes and I can compose from any account
I'm luvvin it

TXLady
08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Okay. Glad you got it working the way you want.

In case you decide you want separate boxes, I found the email manual for the 8520, v4.6.1 at http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/9251/BlackBerry_Curve_8520_Smartphone-4.6.1-US.pdf

Believe these instructions from pg 59 under Message list options are what you are looking for:
Use one message list or multiple message lists
By default, your BlackBerry® device theme determines whether SMS text messages appear in the same message list as email messages.
1. On the Home screen, click the Messages icon.
2. Press the Menu key.
3. Click Options.
4. Click General Options.
5. Perform one of the following actions:
• To use one message list for all messages, set the SMS and Email Inboxes field to Combined.
• To separate SMS text messages from email messages, set the SMS and Email Inboxes field to Separate.
6. Press the Menu key.
7. Click Save

Chris K
08-17-2010, 06:06 PM
That's even better - Far from separating email in-boxes I've now also combined my sms messages with all emails and now they all come to one in-box which suits me even better

and you also pointed me towards conditional formatting (couple pages before) which is great :idea::

Use color to differentiate work messages from other messages
To perform this task, your BlackBerry® device must be associated with an email account that uses a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.
1. On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.
2. Click Security Options.
3. Click General Settings.
4. In the Message Outline Colours section, perform any of the following actions:
• To set an outline color for email messages that are sent to your device through a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, change the Enterprise
Messages field.
• To set an outline color for messages that are not sent to your device through a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, change the Other
Messages field.
5. Press the Menu key.
6. Click Save.

Thanks very much for the pointers - I'm dead chuffed with how it works in such concise way - why have 4 in-boxes when you can have one - great :smile:

Chris K
08-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Well it was going great - thought it was too good to be true

Just noticed that BB seems to be stealing email from my Windows Live Mail Desktop on my PC - An email message received by my Live Mail account *either* goes to my BB *or* to my PC

At first I thought BB was deleting them off the server once received but the emails are all still there - they're just not being pushed to my PC (or they are being pushed to my PC and not my BB)

Dont suppose there's an easy solution to this?

EDIT: Nope I think it's working fine - it's marking email as read on both BB and PC and so I didn't see them but they seem to be in sync - great

aiharkness
08-17-2010, 07:07 PM
On mine, it is under Setup / Email Settings. Don't know if it may vary by carrier. Options shown include Yahoo!, Gmail, AOL, Windows Live (includes Hotmail), and Other. I believe if you choose other, you will need the server info.

Should have no effect on your work email, calendar, contacts, etc.

The RIM servers seem to have all the info needed on commericial email services. I have two ISP addresses as well as Yahoo and Windows Live, and just had to enter address and password in the setup for all of them. BlackBerry did the rest.

aiharkness
08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
That's even better - Far from separating email in-boxes I've now also combined my sms messages with all emails and now they all come to one in-box which suits me even better

and you also pointed me towards conditional formatting (couple pages before) which is great :idea::

Thanks very much for the pointers - I'm dead chuffed with how it works in such concise way - why have 4 in-boxes when you can have one - great :smile:

That's the way I like it, too. All email in one "place" is great.

FYI spend some time learning the shortcuts.

Also, if you use search in the email folder and do some searches regularly, learn how to save search criteria, then "recall" instead of entering the criteria all over again.

TXLady
08-18-2010, 07:26 AM
That's the way I like it, too. All email in one "place" is great.

FYI spend some time learning the shortcuts.

Also, if you use search in the email folder and do some searches regularly, learn how to save search criteria, then "recall" instead of entering the criteria all over again.

LOL -- to each, their own. I HATE having them all combined. But then one email account is the primary and the others are extras -- it doesn't really matter if I even get them on my phone. But especially, I want the SMS/MMS separated from the email. Luckily, BB lets us each set it up as we please.

One of the first things I do with any new phone is find the users guide (link provided above for OP) and download the PDF to my computer. I usually just skim through and review TOC initially but then I have it available when I want to look something up.