PDA

View Full Version : blackberry will not boot!

SteveO86
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I was tempted to title this thread "help/Urgent" but figured I would do something a bit descriptive.

I've had issues in the past were opening the camera app would reboot my BlackBerry and I would not be able to use my camera until I did a physical battery pull, a soft reset would not work.

However, not my BlackBerry will not boot at all.

I am stuck at the screen with the BlackBerry logo and progress bar, but the progress bar gets stuck under the "e" and just sits there.

I have tried Safe Mode according to RIM KB articles KB17877-How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB17877&sliceID=1&command=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&kcId=KB17877) but the progress bar still just sits there..

I've left the battery out from 5 seconds to 10 minutes.
I've removed the SIM Card and Micro SD Card, no help.
(Even tried different batteries to no avail)

I fear I am stuck with JL_CMDer and reloading my OS....

Any thoughts?
(talk about role reversal....)

Update 1:

JL_Cmder is sitting there with a red screen... *whistles*

Using this from the FAQ..
What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

It says it's working...

Update 2:

Apploader.exe /nojvm didn't work but JL_Cmder did connect.

Now got erro 507!! :-)

Means I need to reload my OS, doing now!

Update 3:

Even after the 507 and reloading the OS.. No go, looks like I am down till I can get to a VZW tomorrow.

Maybe I will activate my old 8330 or 9550... hmm

Update 4

Patience is something I must be lacking, because it took a while but my BlackBerry came up and is working now.

As far as the initial culprit.. Who knows.

dc/dc
09-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Best thread in a long time!!! :razz:

;-)

DanielXXI
09-08-2010, 03:17 AM
What a post! Such a follow up eheh (y)

Dubdub
09-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Probably a corrupt file or an incompatible app. Or the BB just might have needed a change of clothes. Electronic devices can be erratic sometime.

aiharkness
09-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Two gold stars for the updates!

Knock on wood I haven't had any more episodes like the two I had in close succession that I posted about a few months and two OS upgrades ago. But I'm still worried about this sort of thing happening again. So, I don't leave town without the netbook with JL_CMDER and desktop manager and the OS installed.

Glad you recovered.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

SteveO86
09-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Yea it was weird, I have been plagued with Camera reboots but never something like this.

I think I will lay off a few of the beta apps, I was testing :-)

At least in the future if someone searches the forum with the same issue this might be able to help them.

In the few years I've had a BlackBerry I've only had to use JL_Cmder twice under the guidance of BBFAQ and I am glad it is there :-)

Green Cart
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Please don't get angry with me again, but isn't JL_CMDer obsolete considering that I can use Options/Security Options/Security Wipe on my BB 9630 Tour to do the same thing? Of course, I know this new option is not available on older models, but it would be nice for others to know that there are two ways to do it. I would think that the new method would be more efficient, but don't ask me to prove it (SMILE).

aiharkness
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Wiping with JL_CMDER in this case is done to completely remove the device software (the OS). A security wipe does not do this; only user data, and when selected by the user, third-party apps as well.

Green Cart
09-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Oh I see. Thanks. Maybe I should download JL_CMDer for emergency reasons.

aiharkness
09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
You may never need it. I went years and 3 blackberrys before I had a catastrophe. Plan for the wost: do a backup every day, keep several old backup files, have desktop manager, JL_CMDER and the OS softwarre installed, and all on the computer you take on travel. For good measure, copy your backup files to a usb flash drive. Chances are you'll never have a problem, but you'll be happy you are prepared if you do.

zerog46
09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
And the security wipe has been available on all BB's. :razz:

SteveO86
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM
You may never need it. I went years and 3 blackberrys before I had a catastrophe. Plan for the wost: do a backup every day, keep several old backup files, have desktop manager, JL_CMDER and the OS softwarre installed, and all on the computer you take on travel. For good measure, copy your backup files to a usb flash drive. Chances are you'll never have a problem, but you'll be happy you are prepared if you do.

Agree 100%, I'm just very happy I backed up over the weekend so I only 2 days or so of calls logs and other stuff. Previous to that my last backup was weeks old! (yes I have gotten a little sloppy lately, by I will be back on the ball again :-) trust me on that one lol.)

Also to back you up, in the 3 years and 4 BlackBerries I have been through, only needed JL_Cmder twice so far.