PDA

View Full Version : Why is Blackberry Better?

SugarMouth
09-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Ok I have spent a day with the 9700 now and 6 months with a 8320 previously and am wondering what it is about BB you guys are so attracted to? I have an open mind to different OS and still at this point can not see an advantage to BB other than the battery life to Android.

Help me understand. What i mean is tell me why the BB works better for you. I have been comparing different features and at this point am not seeing the benefit.

I have a 9700 sitting in front of me that maybe going back. I bought it because of a hard keyboard but now sitting next to my N1 and Vibrant I am challenged to see the benefit other than a great battery life and UMA.

Dubdub
09-16-2010, 08:55 PM
If you can't see the benefit for yourself, then you can't really expect us to change your mind, can you?

I like it for the utility - phone, calendar, email, web. It is a business device and it does what I want and need it to do. The OS is solid. It is secure enough for me. I don't need all of the bells and whistles that many consumerists seem to need.

SugarMouth
09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I am not asking to change my mind, I am asking for reasons why people like BB.

Here is what i think. BB users like BB for a few reasons:

*They are comfortable with the OS and do not like change.
*They do not want to jump on the "Android" or "iPhone" bandwagon and be like the others.
*They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice.
*They have never really used a iPhone or Android device for more than 10 minutes.
* They simply are trying to support the BB community even if iPhone or Android is better and convince themselves otherwise.

I am open minded and want to hear legitimate reasons why BB is a better OS. I am here with three phones (iPhone, Android BB) in front of mer and cant see it.

Dubdub, you speak of bells and whistles. If being more efficient, easier to read and navigate with more information in one place is "bells and whistles" then that is what I am looking for.

I am not bashing BB, BB is a great OS I just hesitate when people are die hard BB fans ans say its the best but do not give detailed examples why.

penguin3107
09-16-2010, 09:22 PM
BES. Case closed. ;)

SugarMouth
09-16-2010, 09:38 PM
BES. Case closed. ;)

That goes under the:
"They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice."
Category.

djm2
09-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Maybe it does. It also goes under the heading of rock solid email and exquisite security -- which I don't believe you consider a valid category.

So, that tells us why you don't "get it." The rules that RIM plays by are rules you do not comprehend.

SugarMouth
09-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe it does. It also goes under the heading of rock solid email and exquisite security -- which I don't believe you consider a valid category.

So, that tells us why you don't "get it." The rules that RIM plays by are rules you do not comprehend.

I hope you don't have a gmail, yahoo, aol or hotmail account. If you do, what you said is a contradiction.

TXLady
09-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I am not asking to change my mind, I am asking for reasons why people like BB.

Here is what i think. BB users like BB for a few reasons:

*They are comfortable with the OS and do not like change.
*They do not want to jump on the "Android" or "iPhone" bandwagon and be like the others.
*They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice.
*They have never really used a iPhone or Android device for more than 10 minutes.
* They simply are trying to support the BB community even if iPhone or Android is better and convince themselves otherwise.

I am open minded and want to hear legitimate reasons why BB is a better OS. I am here with three phones (iPhone, Android BB) in front of mer and cant see it.

Dubdub, you speak of bells and whistles. If being more efficient, easier to read and navigate with more information in one place is "bells and whistles" then that is what I am looking for.

I am not bashing BB, BB is a great OS I just hesitate when people are die hard BB fans ans say its the best but do not give detailed examples why.

Oh good grief. You have already decided that BB users are either afraid of change or forced to use it but claim to be open minded. You are so full of crap.

Just face it, ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL. and there is absolutely no reason it should. Why do some people like one car and others like another? Personal preference is enough reason. I can be a die hard fan but don't have to expain it. If someone telling you that for them, the BB is best because of the way it handles email and PIM functions, then you shoot that down as not a good enough reason.

If you don't see that BB is a better phone FOR YOU, then take it back now. Don't ask us to change your mind. Use what ever you want to use.

For what it's worth, I recently left BB for iPhone. But your attitude really irritates me as much as the iPhone fanboy attitude did. They're phones. That's it. Not the be all and end all. Use the one that works for you. The market will decide which survive and which don't.

SugarMouth
09-16-2010, 11:26 PM
The market will decide which survive and which don't.

Funny you say that:

Android Market Share Jumps A Spectacular 5% In Q2, Will Blow Past RIM And Apple Soon (http://www.businessinsider.com/android-iphone-market-share-2010-9)

Open minded I am and is why I have Win Mo, BB, Apple and Android sitting on my desk now.

I notice many (not all) BB users being defensive without telling me why it works for them. I would respect a reason, not a defensive, generalized response based from the emotion caused by reading my post.

There is a trend happening and BB losing market share is part of it. I feel I see why but I am just trying to get opinions from BB users as to why they think BB is the best fit for them.

daphne
09-16-2010, 11:50 PM
For me, BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard. It does everything I need it to do and does it well.

I know all the analysts and journalists are predicting gloom and doom for RIM, but they released some good stats today.

UPDATE:RIM Earnings, Device Shipments Beat Expectations In 2Q>RIMM - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100916-713411.html)

RIM said it shipped 12.1 million devices in its second quarter. It earned a $1.46 a share, up from $476 million or 83 cents a year earlier. Revenue increased 31% to $4.62 billion. Devices accounted for about 79% of the revenue total.

JSanders
09-17-2010, 12:13 AM
SugarMouth, all of your assumptions as based on thinking those of us who might be BlackBerry devotees have some fear of the other devices. It's your statements putting posters in the thread on the defensive. You came asking for reason we like it, and many have stated their opinions, and you poo-poo them.

I take it you're here to debate and not listen?

For me, it's the ease of use, email that works all the time, security, the range of apps I can use, the great multimedia, and as much as any of those reasons, it keeps me constantly and dependably connected to my office and family.

Do other devices do those things? Yep.
We choose BlackBerry (along with still more smartphone users than any other maker).

SugarMouth
09-17-2010, 12:20 AM
For me, BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard. It does everything I need it to do and does it well.

I know all the analysts and journalists are predicting gloom and doom for RIM, but they released some good stats today.

UPDATE:RIM Earnings, Device Shipments Beat Expectations In 2Q>RIMM - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100916-713411.html)

Thank you! "BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard." That is what I am looking for.

SugarMouth
09-17-2010, 12:22 AM
For me, it's the ease of use, email that works all the time, security, the range of apps I can use, the great multimedia, and as much as any of those reasons, it keeps me constantly and dependably connected to my office and family.

Thank you!

daphne
09-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Thank you! "BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard." That is what I am looking for.

What I said is "For me, Blackberry is better" also. It's personal preference - others might not agree. I don't think anyone can make a definitive statement on what smartphone is "better". What's better for me may not be better for the person next to me. The way you asked the question is loaded.

dc/dc
09-17-2010, 05:24 AM
BlackBerry is not always better. As many of us have said time and time again, it is all a matter of personal preference and what device and service will best meet your personal and/or business needs.

penguin3107
09-17-2010, 05:50 AM
That goes under the:
"They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice."
Category.

No, it doesn't. You're making assumptions based on your own ignorance.
Many people CHOOSE a BES environment because it provides the full functionality of the BlackBerry device. Why do you think there's so many hosted Exchange/BES providers out there competing with eachother?

BES is the only solution that offers full wireless PIM sync, including Tasks and Memos. Something iPhone and Android don't do via Activesync.

BES provides a level of device and data security that's important to both corporate and consumer users.

There's too many advantages to even list and waste everyone's time with.

I choose a BES environment... I'm not forced into anything.
I'm also not trying to convince myself, or anyone else, that BlackBerry is the "best".
There is no best. The fact that you're trying to find it, or assume others have found it, just makes you look silly.

aiharkness
09-17-2010, 05:50 AM
For me, I started using a BlackBerry because I needed to be able to send and receive email anytime anywhere. The variety of smartphones was limited at the time -- no iphone, no android OS phones -- and my experience with pocketPC devices was negative, the experiences of people I knew using palm devices was poor, and so I went with BlackBerry. My big thing is I need the device to work and not crap out at the worst time and lose my data, which happened to me multiple times with the windows CE and pocket PC devices I had used.

And since that time, I've had no reason to switch. The things that people complain about just aren't important to me. The things that people tout about the new smartphones just aren't important to me.

Sitting at the airport with a travel partner, and he's playing a game on his iphone. I'm catching up on email and news and blogs. Sitting at Starbucks waiting to meet up with the other partner, he's still playing his game. I'm reading and responding to email, checking some news sites, and hitting the feed readers, checking blackberryforums.com, etc. I'm not saying I'm better or my use of a device is better than his, just different. The third partner, by the way, is still using the same windows mobile smartphone he was using three plus years ago because that's the way he is.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

SugarMouth
09-17-2010, 09:05 AM
No, it doesn't. You're making assumptions based on your own ignorance.
Many people CHOOSE a BES environment because it provides the full functionality of the BlackBerry device. Why do you think there's so many hosted Exchange/BES providers out there competing with eachother?

BES is the only solution that offers full wireless PIM sync, including Tasks and Memos. Something iPhone and Android don't do via Activesync.

BES provides a level of device and data security that's important to both corporate and consumer users.

There's too many advantages to even list and waste everyone's time with.

I choose a BES environment... I'm not forced into anything.
I'm also not trying to convince myself, or anyone else, that BlackBerry is the "best".
There is no best. The fact that you're trying to find it, or assume others have found it, just makes you look silly.

Thank you, I appreciate your answer. These are valid benefits.

SugarMouth
09-17-2010, 09:07 AM
For me, I started using a BlackBerry because I needed to be able to send and receive email anytime anywhere. The variety of smartphones was limited at the time -- no iphone, no android OS phones -- and my experience with pocketPC devices was negative, the experiences of people I knew using palm devices was poor, and so I went with BlackBerry. My big thing is I need the device to work and not crap out at the worst time and lose my data, which happened to me multiple times with the windows CE and pocket PC devices I had used.

And since that time, I've had no reason to switch. The things that people complain about just aren't important to me. The things that people tout about the new smartphones just aren't important to me.

Sitting at the airport with a travel partner, and he's playing a game on his iphone. I'm catching up on email and news and blogs. Sitting at Starbucks waiting to meet up with the other partner, he's still playing his game. I'm reading and responding to email, checking some news sites, and hitting the feed readers, checking blackberryforums.com, etc. I'm not saying I'm better or my use of a device is better than his, just different. The third partner, by the way, is still using the same windows mobile smartphone he was using three plus years ago because that's the way he is.

I'm the same way, I actually delete games out of my phones to free up memory. Sounds like we use our phones in a similar way.

VRaptor
09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Strange. He started the same thread over on crackberry and it is up to 2 pages of responses. Guess that wasn't enough.:shock:

juwaack68
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
*Sigh*...here we go again.

I've used iPhone and Android (It's my job to evaluate them) and hate touchscreens for having to type more then a word or 2. Yes, I've used them for more then 10 minutes.

The Samsung Epic I'm currently trying out has a slide out keyboard, but compared to a BlackBerry keyboard, it's sucks....at least so far. It's too damn wide, which makes typing on it a PITA.

My top 2 reasons for choosing a BlackBerry are the keyboard and BlackBerry Messenger. Many of my friends/family have BB's and BBM is the fastest way to communicate with them.

jsconyers
09-17-2010, 09:59 AM
This is a silly, tired, and pointless argument. I use a Blackberry and an HTC Evo (Android 2.2). The keyboard on the BlackBerry is by far easier to type on. I am pretty goon on the touch keyboard of the Evo (I believe the 4.3 inch screen helps) and I am also pretty good with using Swype. Still no where as fast or as efficient as I am typing with my BlackBerry keyboard.

When I got the Evo, I thought it was a great device, which it is. Did I think it was better than the BlackBerry? In some aspects but not all. As I mentioned above, typing on the BB is a lot easier. The browser and screen on the Evo is better than the BlackBerry and the Gmail/Google integrations work better on the Evo. Also, the Market has a lot more apps. However, there are a TON of garbage apps available.

The BlackBerry's notifications are so much better than that on the Evo. I miss that dearly on the BB. Being able to set exceptions for users on the BlackBerry is extremely nice. For example, I could have my phone on vibrate or silent, and have an exception for when an important contact calls, emails, or texts me and it will give an audible notification/ring. I miss that a lot too.

Also, AppWorld has fewer apps, but not nearly as many (if any) trash apps that you find in the Market or AppStore.

Also, as mentioned before, and you may think this isn't significant, but security. Look at the iPhone 4 and the vulnerabilities. Android has it's own vulnerabilities as well. Android more so than anyone. Anyone can basically put an app into the Market without any testing. This allows for malicious attacks.

As stated many times, there is no best device. There is only a device that is best for you. And many times, it isn't one device. That is why some of us carry a BB and an iPhone, or a BB and an Android device. Get the device(s) that suits your needs.

SugarMouth
09-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Strange. He started the same thread over on crackberry and it is up to 2 pages of responses. Guess that wasn't enough.:shock:

Thanks for the feedback.(n)

SugarMouth
09-17-2010, 10:04 AM
As stated many times, there is no best device. There is only a device that is best for you. And many times, it isn't one device. That is why some of us carry a BB and an iPhone, or a BB and an Android device. Get the device(s) that suits your needs.

Thank you, I appreciate your informative reply.

VRaptor
09-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback.(n)

Glad to be of service. :smile: Every is different so what attracts some to the BB won't be the same as someone else. When you get your 9700 YOU decide why BB is better or why it's not. :smile:

SugarMouth
09-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the comments!

After trying to acces this (Blackberry Forums) website on my 9700 and practically needing a magnifying glass to read text on the BB screen I have returned it. Yes I could enlarge the text but then have to scroll to read all the text, no thanks.

Save the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" comments please.

TXLady
09-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Hope you find whatever it is you are looking for and enjoy it.

VRaptor
09-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the comments!

After trying to acces this (Blackberry Forums) website on my 9700 and practically needing a magnifying glass to read text on the BB screen I have returned it. Yes I could enlarge the text but then have to scroll to read all the text, no thanks.

Don't let the.... Oh never mind. couldn't resist. :smile:

tsac
09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Maybe a marketing company doing research

daphne
09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I guess he didn't try changing the browser settings - column view (instead of page view) fixed the issue of small text for me, and no scrolling required.

VRaptor
09-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Maybe a marketing company doing research

possible but doubtful. :smile:

tsac
09-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I guess he didn't try changing the browser settings - column view (instead of page view) fixed the issue of small text for me, and no scrolling required.

every day I learn something new on this site. Thanks daphne!!

Chris K
09-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the comments!

It's set up wrong - had the same problem when i tried to use the internet & I couldn't find the attraction until someone told me - you need to set it to 'column view', which you can switch on the fly or by default

Browser Menu>Options>General Properties>Default View = Columns

you can imagine what it does and it's brilliant

+ you can also set font size

My eye sight is poor and I'm Luvvin mine - never off it

EDIT: I see now that i was a bit slow with that suggestion

Chris K
09-18-2010, 01:22 AM

lol

aiharkness
09-18-2010, 08:57 AM

Ditto.

Set the default view the way you want, and use the Z shortcut to alternate view as needed.

AZsteelman
09-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Man, this comment alone made my entire day!

How nice of this guy to come over here and validate our feelings on our Blackberry - man, if he hadn't come along, I'd have been all shook up! Whew, I feel so much better now!

Kamau
09-18-2010, 01:02 PM
No other cell phone has the reputation that blackberry has. I've said it before, when you say the name Blackberry, you bring up an image of a reliable, professional phone. It has a status.
Android, iPhone and the rest are johnny-come-lately's. Even when you compare phones, you don't compare a BB against them, you compare them against a BB.

Why? Because it's a Blackberry. 'Nuff said.

NJBlackBerry
09-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Uh oh.. I wouldn't go there...

Kamau
09-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Uh oh.. I wouldn't go there...

You're right. Never underestimate what the government can do. They do have a way of surprising people.

cyberdyne
09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I've been using BB for less than a year and I love it. I love the messenger, the infallible email service, the excellent and simple to use Desktop Manager and of course, the trouble free keyboard.
I do however get disheartened at the lack of apps - at least compared to those available for the iPhone and just recently Ovi for Nokia.
However, despite the above, I've not yet found a strong enough valid reason to switch and thus have no intention to.

penguin3107
09-19-2010, 07:40 PM
the infallible email service

Uh, no.

TimW
10-08-2010, 01:13 AM
I had a Droid for 3 weeks. Hated it. Didn't do email like I needed. Took it back and went back to a BB.

Oh...and my BB gets 3-4 DAYS on a single charge, making calls, surfing the web, sending SMS all day long. Try that with your Android phone.

Do you want a micro-PC that makes calls, or a phone that does email and messaging really really well?

I wanted the latter.

iambatman
10-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Blap to dubdub and the rest

You wont get a straight answer from these kontproppe Sugarmouth.

Blackberry Forever

LOL

stevetaz
10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
HI
I think
BlackBerry thumb is a neologism that posits a form of repetitive strain injury caused by the frequent use of the thumb(s) to press buttons on PDAs, smart phones, or other mobile devices.........

Copied from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_thumb) and a dozen other places (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1200&bih=526&q=BlackBerry+thumb+is+a+neologism+that+posits+a+form+of+repetitive+strain+injury+&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=b215433b551266f7). So?

daphne
10-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Copied from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_thumb) and a dozen other places (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1200&bih=526&q=BlackBerry+thumb+is+a+neologism+that+posits+a+form+of+repetitive+strain+injury+&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=b215433b551266f7). So?

That user is a signature link spammer.

rambo47
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
*Sigh*...here we go again.

I've used iPhone and Android (It's my job to evaluate them) and hate touchscreens for having to type more then a word or 2. Yes, I've used them for more then 10 minutes.

The Samsung Epic I'm currently trying out has a slide out keyboard, but compared to a BlackBerry keyboard, it's sucks....at least so far. It's too damn wide, which makes typing on it a PITA.

My top 2 reasons for choosing a BlackBerry are the keyboard and BlackBerry Messenger. Many of my friends/family have BB's and BBM is the fastest way to communicate with them.

Wow, I just did this myself. Although it was for personal use, nothing to do with evaluations for my company. The tech/IT guys LOVED the Epic and were ooh-ing and aah-ing over it constantly. I hate to break it to them, but I went back to my BlackBerry Bold.

The Epic, while gorgeous, is just too darn big. And the keyboard is mediocre at best. Better than no physical keyboard, but just barely so. And when you're talking about email/communication as your #1 priority, typing lots of messages daily, the BlackBerry combo of keypad + email handling + battery life pretty much trumps everything else out there.