PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting to the internet BB 8520 Curve

camit
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
For the first couple of days using my new Curve 8520 everything was working properly.

Now, I cannot connect to a wi-fi network anymore, and when I do, it connects as a hotspot and not internet connection. In the browser configuration I used to have 3 options: WAP, Hotspot and Internet, and now there are only the WAP and Hotspot options.

I have no idea if I deleted something that I wasn`t supposed to.

I cannot connect to the Facebook or Messenger applications, due to a problem in " reaching Facebook server".

What I don`t understand is that for 2 days it worked out properly, just like that I started experiencing these problems.

I tried reseting my BB with the Wipe tool , however it did not help.

Can anyone help me?

aiharkness
09-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Wipe tool?

The first troubleshooting step is almost always a hard reset. With the power on, remove the battery for at least 30 seconds.

You may also in your case need to resend service books. See How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_resend_my_service_books%3F).
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

camit
09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, the security wipe, where you enter “blackberry” to confirm the service. I was told that would format the BB to its factory settings.
Ok, tried removing the battery for about a minute and placed it again. When the BB reboted , it showed the following message : “uncaught exception: Index 6 >=6”
The applications still don`t work.
I don`t know if this helps, but in the Wi-Fi diagnostics, in the Blackberry Infrastructure the
“Connecting” box has a red cross and says Connecting error.
The “authenticating router” and “authenticating server” boxes are blank.

tsac
09-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Not sure what carrier TIM is but if it's really one of the big ones they may have discovered your BB and If you do not have a Blackberry data plan you now find it blocked for data use. so the question I would ask is " do you have one"

Before you go wiping the BB try aiharkness idea first. Pull the battery while powered.

aiharkness
09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Something is boogered with the software, possibly. Maybe a third-party app, or maybe the OS. Or maybe it's the theme if you are not using a stock theme.

If you are using an after-market theme, try switching to one of the themes that came installed on the device. And do another hard reset and wait a good two or three minutes. Do you still get the uncaught exception?

The security wipe doesn't format the device per se. It removes all user data. If you also select to remove third-party apps, it will do that, too.

Did you just do the simple wipe, or did you also select to remove third-party apps as well? If you can't get rid of the uncaught exception and you didn't wipe third-party apps, you might try repeating the security wipe but this time make that selection to delete the apps, then try again. Be sure and do a full backup before you do. Then add your apps back one at a time, and test in between.

If after all the above you still have trouble, I think it is time to prepare for wiping and reinstalling the OS. Or upgrade to the latest OS if you are using an older version. See the latest OS thread for your model. If you are looking at wiping, which you will have to do to resinstall the same version OS you have now, see the two articles at blackberryfaq.com on using JL_CMDER.

tsac
09-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Do you have a Blackberry specific Data Plan? Not a cell data plan.

camit
09-25-2010, 05:51 PM
I just bought the BB, so no, I still don`t have a data plan. However I spoke with the carrier and they mentioned I do not need a data plan to access the internet via wi-fi or to access the applications via wi-fi.

They also said this model is still not available in my country and that I need to call Blackberry and ask for the internet configuration info. Which is very weird. Specially weird, since the BB was working just fine on the first couple of days.

I do appreciate all your help aiharkness and I will try your suggestions. I`m also going to my carrier`s store to see if anyone may help me there...

Thanks!

Dubdub
09-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Your carrier did not tell you the truth. You must have a BB data plan to access any of the RIM related services. And RIM is not going to give you any help or the settings.

WiFi might get you on the Internet, but you can't access BIS for email, BBM, maps, Facebook, etc.

Maybe this from our FAQ will help: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F

aiharkness
09-25-2010, 06:03 PM
The error aside, you DO NEED a blackberry data plan if you want to use the blackberry-branded data apps on the mobile network AND on wifi. You may be able to use the hotspot/wifi browser, and sounds like you were. Make sure your default browser is set to the wifi (or hotspot) browser in the device options. But understand, you will not be able to use the push email nor blackberry messenger without a blackberry data plan.

There is no user setup/configuration to speak of. This is done by service books which are pushed to the device when you activate a blackberry data plan. The exception is setting the APN for using carrier data. See How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_to_use_BlackBerry_on_Generic_Data_Plan).

tsac
09-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Suspected the OP did not have one.