PDA

View Full Version : Using BlackBerry abroad

phoenix85
09-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Just have a question regarding the use of my BlackBerry in other countries.

I don't know how it works exactly, but recently I bought a BlackBerry 8520 Curve from a friend here in South Africa. I had already a Vodacom SIM card since before so I just used that one in the BB. Paid the monthly BIS from my airtime and it works just fine. I just found out that everytime I turn on/turn off the phone the MTN logo appears on the screen. Why is this even when I'm using Vodacom?

Another question. Let's say if I'm moving abroad and I buy a local SIM card, I want to be able to use all the services with the BIS, email etc just like I did with my Vodacom back in South Africa. What must I do to be able to use the same service without paying expensive roaming fees.

Thanks for all the help!

aiharkness
09-25-2010, 01:28 PM
The original brand splash screen is permanent, regardless of the OS software or the service provider at the moment.

Don't know the exact answer to your second question. The BIS service is an add-on to the voice account. Plus, you can not register a blackberry on another BIS while already registered on another. An international plan with your carrier might be one option. But you won't have BIS with local carrier if your BIS service is with original carrier back home.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile