PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy to distribute PlayBook?

JSanders
09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
From the Wall Street Journal:
Best Buy In Talks to Carry BlackBerry PlayBook - Digits - WSJ (http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/09/28/best-buy-in-talks-to-carry-blackberry-playbook/)

The comments help clear up how RIM might distribute the tablet. The BlackBerry PlayBook will lack the ability to connect to cellular phone networks, making it less attractive to the wireless carriers that are RIM’s main distribution channel.

juwaack68
09-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I disagree with the quote. I think that will make it MORE attractive since that means, to me, NO CONTRACT. WiFi is all over the place now, and all of our current iPads use WiFi only....none of them use the 3G option at all.

But that is good news about Best Buy. I'd be happy to go there and get one.

jsconyers
09-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I disagree with the quote. I think that will make it MORE attractive since that means, to me, NO CONTRACT. WiFi is all over the place now, and all of our current iPads use WiFi only....none of them use the 3G option at all.

I believe the quote was referring to it being less attractive to the carriers, not the consumers. Seeing as it doesn't have a contract, there is little money they can make off of the devices.

juwaack68
09-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Ahhh.... ok, I can see that side of it, too.

aiharkness
09-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Best buy, Amazon, the carrier, whatever; but faster, please. I haven't been this anxious for a new toy since about 40+ years ago.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

gtivr6r
09-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Playbook doesn't need Cellular network.

Just tether it to your blackberry via USB cable or blutooth.(y):smile:

Xion901
09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Ye definitely no cellular networks stuff. Wi-fi is the way forward, it will just attract all the people who didnt want to get the iPad on a plan.

ejmm22
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
My only problem with Best Buy is their prices are usually way higher than any, for instance AT&T store

JSanders
09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
My only problem with Best Buy is their prices are usually way higher than any, for instance AT&T store

Best Buy will price match anywhere else, even AT&T, if it is an advertised price for walk-in or purchase anywhere (not just an internet special price).

I know, back as the 9800 Torch was launched, ATT was selling off contract at $499/unit, and Best Buy had them for a week or two at $699/unit, and priced matched ATT.

dawiz
09-30-2010, 08:14 AM

"All of our current iPads use WiFi only"...???

juwaack68
09-30-2010, 08:15 AM
"All of our current iPads use WiFi only"...???

Something you'd like to ask?

dawiz
09-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Sure...I'm wondering what you meant by that...if it was specific to your organization. Since my iPad use WiFi and 3G, so I'm pretty sure I missed something.

jsconyers
09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Sure...I'm wondering what you meant by that...if it was specific to your organization. Since my iPad use WiFi and 3G, so I'm pretty sure I missed something.

There are 2 different versions of the iPad. One with a wireless radio for 3G and one that only uses WiFi.

dawiz
09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
YES we KNOW that! As you can see my response was specific to something juwaack68 said earlier!

juwaack68
09-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Our devices are both 3G and WiFi, however, nobody actually uses the 3G. Everyone only uses WiFi since we have quite a few people who also carry corporate MiFi or Overdrive devices with them. So no need to spend extra $$ on 3G.

juwaack68
09-30-2010, 09:33 AM
YES we KNOW that! As you can see my response was specific to something juwaack68 said earlier!

Calm down, please. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

jsconyers
09-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Maybe if you would ask your question in a concise manner, you could avoid getting answers of which you already know.

The attitude is not needed nor appreciated.

JSanders
09-30-2010, 09:39 AM

"Sure...I'm wondering what you meant by that" ???

See, that ^^ doesn't really make it a question just to place several question marks after some statement. It only makes one question why you're posting.

dawiz
09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I simply took a line from a quote, the person responded accordingly because I was confused. Why would someone who has absolutely nothing to do with this quote be interested to explain it? Why would someone inside of our forum choose to read a part of a thread and not understand why a follow-up question was asked?

JSanders
09-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Because all your post did was create confusion.

jsconyers
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I simply took a line from a quote, the person responded accordingly because I was confused. Why would someone who has absolutely nothing to do with this quote be interested to explain it? Why would someone inside of our forum choose to read a part of a thread and not understand why a follow-up question was asked?

This is a forum, a community. I was attempting to help out by answering your very poorly asked question (if that's what you want to call it) in a timely manner.

You asked why they would use WiFi (I assume that is what the question was supposed to be). But you didn't know if they had the WiFi only devices or not. Maybe that could have been the reason they use WiFi only.

This is pointless. I will remember not to assist in any of your issues from this point forward. Sorry for trying to help...

btraill
10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Products have to start leaning away from contract-only sales. I understand that all of them can't, but come on... A tablet, that's a must!