PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the 8700 with Cingular

dwlace01
01-12-2006, 05:56 PM
So, after reading an article on CNN.com about the Treo 700w that has been out for a couple of weeks, I was left wondering how the 8700 will compare in the future and what Cingular is planning.

I know that people have speculated and John even asked some questions a little over a month ago to Cingular but I was wondering if someone has heard anything new lately, or has an informed hypothesis of what is to come especially since Cingular is now releasing their new phones that are taking advantage of the faster networks and 3g.

UMTS/HSDPA?

Instant Messenging?

PTT?

Modem Use?

MMS?

I know all of these topics have been talked about all throughout the forum but I was aiming to consolidate and get some sort of updated info on them. BUT if a mod wants to delete it then by all means go for it!!

inkwirer
01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Cingular is planning to launch a full line of "CINGULAR" branded phones meaning they will sub contract manufacturers to make phones for them like the new cingular pocket pc phone if that idea flies and i'll bet my 8700 home charger the very next thing they'll do is monitor all forum websites and try to remove posts that in their view diminishes their good publicity.

Bunker
01-15-2006, 05:45 AM
So, after reading an article on CNN.com about the Treo 700w that has been out for a couple of weeks, I was left wondering how the 8700 will compare in the future and what Cingular is planning.

I know that people have speculated and John even asked some questions a little over a month ago to Cingular but I was wondering if someone has heard anything new lately, or has an informed hypothesis of what is to come especially since Cingular is now releasing their new phones that are taking advantage of the faster networks and 3g.

UMTS/HSDPA?

Instant Messenging?

PTT?

Modem Use?

MMS?

I know all of these topics have been talked about all throughout the forum but I was aiming to consolidate and get some sort of updated info on them. BUT if a mod wants to delete it then by all means go for it!!

These are weird questions. What do you mean compare in the future and what does the Palm 700 (which is a step backwards for Treo 650's but a step forwrd for Windows Mobile Phones) have to do with your question?

Cingular definelty will do PTT with EDGE and whatever else they do in the future. They have also announced UMTS and HSPDA but who knows when the networks will be worthwhile (which is when they have reasonable coverage - not just major market coverage).

They are stupid for not doing IP Modem with EDGE already with the 8700g.

8700g is a big step forward from previous BlackBerry's. RIM will be there with whatever network/carrier that is out there. They have delivered up to this point - what makes anyone think they can't continue to do so.

Bunker

takeshi
01-16-2006, 09:03 AM
I see these threads in pretty much every forum. I'm really not sure what the point is unless idle speculation's your thing. Check each carrier's and each manufacturer's forum on Howard Forums...

Ram S.O.S
01-17-2006, 01:36 AM
I talked to a Blackberry Representative at Macworld San Francisco and he told me that Cingular will be launching an instant messaging solution compatible with Yahoo, Aim and MSN in 2 months. This was good news to me since I went through so much to get Verichat to work on my 8700c, now I just wonder if I will switch over when they launch it. I that will be a good step for cingular if they actually do it.

dwlace01
01-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I see these threads in pretty much every forum. I'm really not sure what the point is unless idle speculation's your thing. Check each carrier's and each manufacturer's forum on Howard Forums...

in this forum there are sevel very informed individuals that can share the insight and its very often based on something they know to be fact and not speculation. Many times people have asked questions like this and gotten the correct answer back so speculation can be a problem but shouldn't be here.