PDA

View Full Version : Playbook's Competition for 2011

blackberryfreeware
10-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Since the Playbook is going to be released next year. It means it has to compete with low price Android Tablets which are cheaper but not exactly better. The following major companies (Toshiba, LG, ACER,Samsung) scheduled to release new Android tablets next year.

I think Samsung will be the major competition which coming out with a 10" version of their tablet with Android 3.

NJBlackBerry
10-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Their competition includes the Cisco Cius and the Avaya Aura which will compete in enterprises using their hardware already.

rambo47
10-08-2010, 03:19 PM
And there's no telling where Apple will have taken the iPad by then. RIM is very late getting into the tablet game. Their ace in the hole is all the current BlackBerry users and a closed system. But that's also the downside as nobody without a BlackBerry is going to get a RIM tablet.

btraill
10-11-2010, 01:29 PM
obody without a BlackBerry is going to get a RIM tablet.

I'd beg to differ. Not only will the younger audience be attracted to something with such powerful specs, but the media/gaming potential of thins thing is going to boom.

knottyrope
10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
going to be fun to find out

Dubdub
10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't think it is going to boom. Tablets computers have never really taken off as they were expected to do when HP launched the t-1000 and followed it with the t-1100. IMHO, the iPad is a cult device, similar to the iPhone, which explains some of its "boom".

NJBlackBerry
10-13-2010, 02:10 PM
The TC-1100 was a disaster.

Xion901
10-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't think it is going to boom. Tablets computers have never really taken off as they were expected to do when HP launched the t-1000 and followed it with the t-1100. IMHO, the iPad is a cult device, similar to the iPhone, which explains some of its "boom".

Until two cellular powerhouses create one, we got the iPad, now for RIM. Maybe they will start the evolution :razz:

Dubdub
10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
The TC-1100 was a disaster.

Actually, the 1000 was much worse than the 1100.

b52junebug
10-14-2010, 04:28 PM
So the announcement was made today about Verizon offering the iPad with wifi access starting on Oct 28th. Still no word on the Cius.

Makkari
10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
IMHO, the iPad is a cult device, similar to the iPhone, which explains some of its "boom".
That's a pretty big "cult" following. We can call it what we want, but the iPad/iPhone are a success. Apple's business is strong and it's due to devices like the iPad/iPhone. If I remember correctly, Apple recently passed Exxon as the most value company in the world and while that's not the only financial metric by which companies are measured, their quarterly reports haven't exactly been bad either. Simply stated, the iPad/iPhone are good for Apple and good for the industry and consumers, as they have forced companies to innovate and offer more than the "same old, same old."

As to the Playbook specifically, the problem isn't the device itself, it's more about time and marketing. RIM is far too comfortable with its core audience. No one reign supreme forever in any market, so they need to wake and realize that offering the same device with slightly different coating, casting, color, and number isn't going to cut it for too long. As it stands now the Playbook has excellent specs, but it's also not being released now, which gives companies, specifically Apple, time to trump either the specs or approach. Announcing a device (specs an all) and releasing it 6+ months later isn't going to surprise anyone. You give the other players too much time to plan a better device/strategy.

cb808
10-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Yes, but the Galaxy Tab is Really Expensive...it's more than the iPad at some sites!

aygriffith
11-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes, but the Galaxy Tab is Really Expensive...it's more than the iPad at some sites!

But they haven't released a US market non 3G version of the Galaxy Tab. Plus it will probably see price drops that you don't typically see from Apple. I'd be surprised if they were selling the 3G models without contract for 699.99 closer to Xmas, they'll get a price drop once the bleeding edge folks pay for that privilege.

jimn367
11-03-2010, 10:45 AM
There is a leaked Best Buy ad for next week floating around showing WiFi only Galaxy Tab for $499. It should have 32GB memory and room for a 32GB expansion card.

Undercuts 32G WiFi only iPad by $100 and if you spend the $65 for a 32G MiscroSD then you beatt he 64G ipad by $150 or so.

Thiego-uk
11-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Haha... Its funny how we compare the tabs and realize that so far its not worth buying any of them. Im sure when the PlayBook come out they should be about $100 cheaper but then how much should it be costing when it come out. Im sure this wonder tab will not be cheap... Also, I was reading (not official) it wont have 3G but shall be able to connect to 3G tethering through a BB mobile. You guys think this might be possible cause it sounds great not to have to sign up to another mobile contract.

stevew
11-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I'd beg to differ. Not only will the younger audience be attracted to something with such powerful specs, but the media/gaming potential of thins thing is going to boom.
It won't run on 3G on it's own, only on WiFi. It needs a 3G BB to connect to the web...

I believe that RIM has said that a future model will have it's own 3G modem built in.

knottyrope
11-17-2010, 09:18 PM
it has a module cavity to take it to 3g/ 4g/ LTE, even change it from slave to master unit.

TRONics
12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
it has a module cavity to take it to 3g/ 4g/ LTE, even change it from slave to master unit.

This is new info to me. Is it just me or is the PB sounding better and better?

Xion901
12-27-2010, 01:07 PM
4G is not even active yet, the name is just being thrown out there by all these carriers

NJBlackBerry
12-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Really. You are incorrect. I am testing a new Verizon 4G USB adapter on a laptop. Getting 15mb downloads. That, most assuredly, is 4G.

ArgonNJ
12-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I was just reading RIM is having problems with battery life on this device and that it may not be released until May 2011 at the earliest. This doesn't bode well for putting QNX onto a smartphone platform. I hope RIM hasn't pinned their future to something that may prove unworkable. Their engineers will have their work cut out for them.

Dubdub
12-28-2010, 04:46 PM
The QNX product is not optimized for battery use as it is most used in vehicles and other places with live power, and not dependent upon batteries.

All still a rumor as there have not been any official release dates from RIM.

Jagga
12-28-2010, 06:19 PM
I was just reading RIM is having problems with battery life on this device and that it may not be released until May 2011 at the earliest. This doesn't bode well for putting QNX onto a smartphone platform. I hope RIM hasn't pinned their future to something that may prove unworkable. Their engineers will have their work cut out for them.

And where have you read that? Perpetuating a rumour yourself?

aiharkness
12-28-2010, 06:22 PM
I read it to, link to some industry publication I found on a blog. I'll see if I can find it again. But long story short some analyst is saying RIM has power issues with the PB and the battery only lasts a couple hours. RIM has not commented, at least not as of the time I read the article this morning.

Off to see if I can find the link...

EDIT: Here is the article I saw this morning. http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/28/playbook.may.be.delayed.by.battery.issues/. For what it's worth.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

ArgonNJ
12-28-2010, 06:52 PM
And where have you read that? Perpetuating a rumour yourself?

Don't you feel silly now

aiharkness
12-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Don't crow too much Argon....It's rumour in what I've read. No facts or confirmations.

I wonder if the industry reporting isn't a lot like reporting in politics where the "journalists" have chosen sides and are really cheering their team and pushing the team talking points of the day.

ArgonNJ
12-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't crow too much Argon....It's rumour in what I've read. No facts or confirmations.

I wonder if the industry reporting isn't a lot like reporting in politics where the "journalists" have chosen sides and are really cheering their team and pushing the team talking points of the day.

I know, just responded to his assertion that I made it up. Rumors are like ___

NJBlackBerry
12-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Battery life doesn't seem to be much of a concern to many designers. The Samsung devices are dreadful (our CIO has three spare batteries for his Samsung Vibrant) and the Tab isn't any better. At least RIM tries!

Dubdub
12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Wall Street Journal, Engadget, BBLeaks and a couple other places is where I saw it.

ArgonNJ
12-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Battery life doesn't seem to be much of a concern to many designers. The Samsung devices are dreadful (our CIO has three spare batteries for his Samsung Vibrant) and the Tab isn't any better. At least RIM tries!

My Captavate battery life is horrible. I would never get the tab due to Samsung's poor history with Android updates. RIM probably should have bought Palm and used WebOS, which seems to work well.

nelsonrl
12-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Seeing several companies work with trying out the ipad. Hopefully the playbook will put a halt to that. Security on the Playbook should be much better

aiharkness
12-30-2010, 10:26 AM
RIM: No problems with Blackberry PlayBook battery | Electronista (http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/30/any.issues.only.with.pre.beta.units/)

RIM refutes battery issue reports, says any reports from sources outside RIM re battery life shortcomings are based on use of pre-beta hardware on which power management had not yet been implemented....Shipments expected to begin between February and March.

Dubdub
12-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I knew RIM would have to put something out to refute the claims. Time will tell who was right and who was wrong. I might wait to get one until all of this is sorted out.

aiharkness
12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
True RIM couldn't leave the question unanswered....... I wish I had the will power to wait. It's the smart thing to do. But I'm going to be stupid on this, this time.

ArgonNJ
01-01-2011, 12:54 AM
I knew RIM would have to put something out to refute the claims. Time will tell who was right and who was wrong. I might wait to get one until all of this is sorted out.

You should never buy any new product when it first comes out. They always have bugs.

ichliebe
01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Maybe much later Android is the main street.