PDA

View Full Version : Hello and help

Passwordprotect
10-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Good evening everyone.

I'm obviously new to this forum and intend to follow it with interest, as it has come to me with a strong recommendation from someone who works in the industry.

Unfortunately at the moment I am having little success with the Blackberry 9300 which I received last Wednesday. Therefore I hope no-one minds if I develop my knowledge of the phone via the use of this forum.

However I have a problem downloading apps and am at the end of my tether as I am getting a different explanation each time I speak to my phone provider.

If I could please be indulged I will try to explain what is happening and if some kind soul can help me it may prevent me setting fire to myself in my local Virgin shop.

1 I open Blackberry World.

2 I then select an app to download.

3 I am then brought to a log in screen where I enter my password.

4 Another screen opens entitled 'Blackberry App World Membership Addendum (UK) which I agree to accept at the bottom of the screen.

5 The next screen I am brought to is my Blackberry ID, and that is where the process ends. No download, no nothing.

I have tried re-booting and everything else I can think of to no avail.

So again if anyone can please advise I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks.(y)

Passwordprotect
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Just an update.

I've done a search on posts and have found that the problem I am experiencing is not unique to me.

With this in mind, is the Blackberry for all intents and purposes a defective phone?

NJBlackBerry
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
No - app world and the Blackberry work perfectly for most. Remember that no one goes to a forum to complain when everything works. I am sorry you are having problems.

You have a specific Blackberry data plan on your account, right?

Passwordprotect
10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
No - app world and the Blackberry work perfectly for most. Remember that no one goes to a forum to complain when everything works. I am sorry you are having problems.

You have a specific Blackberry data plan on your account, right?

I'll accept what you say on that point, I'm only going on what I have read on here and if I come across as being negative then I apologize but after speaking to technics in Johannesburg, phoning helplines, visiting the local Virgin shop without success only to be told its a Worldwide problem then this really is my last resort.

I'm sorry I don't understand when you mention a Blackberry Data Plan account please bear with me.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

tsac
10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
A Blackberry Data plan allows any data you want to be downloaded to the BB. With the exception of a very limited list of items such as text, you need one. A standard cell data plan does not work. some carriers are even blocking WiFi internet access.

NJBlackBerry
10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
FYI - this forum is not associated with Research in Motion and is privately owned and everyone here is a volunteer.

May I ask what country are using the BB in?

Passwordprotect
10-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I live in England.

Passwordprotect
10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
A Blackberry Data plan allows any data you want to be downloaded to the BB. With the exception of a very limited list of items such as text, you need one. A standard cell data plan does not work. some carriers are even blocking WiFi internet access.

Thanks

How do I obtain a data plan please?

NJBlackBerry
10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Ok - app world doesn't work in some countries. UK is fine.

MidnightDraven
10-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks

How do I obtain a data plan please?

Call your carrier, you get it from them.

Passwordprotect
10-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Call your carrier, you get it from them.

Thanks Midnight.(y)