PDA

View Full Version : BB for the first time and wondering how to 'do' the mail

copperbeech
10-23-2010, 03:31 PM
This is my first post and I did do a quick scan and I didn't see a subforum for first time users of a BB...and that is me :oops:.

To make a long story short I did acquire just yesterday a new TORCH. As I said I have never used a BB until now and have yet to setup a BIS email account so I do know it may be premature to make the following statement but I don't get BB email.

Let me explain. I have a couple of gmail accounts and what I used to do with my HTC TOUCH phone was just set the email account URLs as favourites in the internet browser of my TOUCH and in one click I would be in my gmail account....just as if I was on my laptop.

So why should I not do similarly for a Blackberry? I know there must be obvious advantages to using BIS email so what am I missing?

MidnightDraven
10-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Sure, you can use the browser to go to the accounts in questions, and set bookmarks within the browser app.

Dubdub
10-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Email via BIS is pushed to your device automatically by RIM. You don't have to do anything.

Read our FAQ for an article on why you need a data plan and also the email section.

copperbeech
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Email via BIS is pushed to your device automatically by RIM. You don't have to do anything.

Read our FAQ for an article on why you need a data plan and also the email section.

Thanks for reply.

Would less data be used up accessing my gmail via BIS then would be the case using the browser to check my actual gmail acount as I have described?

If my Gmail is pushed via BIS will it be completely sync'd with my true i.e online gmail account? i.e. read gmails on the BB are then shown as read in the gmail account; sent gmails via the BB appear as sent emails in the gmails account etc?

Dubdub
10-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Less data? I doubt if you will get a good answer as there probably isn't one. I do know that RIM compresses data traffic, such as email. As for more or less, it wouldn't be much either way.

As for sync, the only way to know in your case is to try it and see. It really depends on your connectivity and how RIM has implemented the gmail sync.

copperbeech
10-23-2010, 04:53 PM
As for sync, the only way to know in your case is to try it and see.

For the best chance of this seamless syncing do you suggest using IMAP or POP3 for the Gmail account? Is there any consensus?

copperbeech
10-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Of course the one advantage of accessing personal accounts via BIS is the notification of the arrival of email.

Is it possible to get such notification only for email originating from *specific* addresses? For example say one only wants to be notified that one has email sent from...family email addresses?

Thanks for your experience.

Dubdub
10-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I suggest you read our FAQ and use the SEARCH feature.