PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Tour with a Telestial int'l sim card?

GoldMember
11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I'm borrowing a friend's BB Tour (was Verizon's, now unlocked) to take on a cruise vacation to the eastern Med (Malta, Italy, Egypt, Turkey, etc.).

I found great calling rates from the eastern Med countries to the U.S. at Telestial with their Passport Plus international sim card. Upon calling them, even though BB is NOT on their incompatible phones list, they say that sometimes, they do not work.

I wonder if anyone has tried Telestial with their BB?

OR does anyone have a better suggestion/provider for calling the U.S. from the eastern Med?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

bbtraveler
11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
You can look into OneSimCard which supports GPRS on BBs, but no BIS or BES. I use their international SIM card with my unlocked 8130. Rates are very low in the eastern Med area.

GoldMember
11-04-2010, 01:52 PM
You can look into OneSimCard which supports GPRS on BBs, but no BIS or BES. I use their international SIM card with my unlocked 8130. Rates are very low in the eastern Med area.

Thanks for the great response. I'll look into OneSimCard now. Good also to know that you used it with your BB. Telestial sounds great but they (for some reason) are unsure of their success with BB!

Thanks

GoldMember
11-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the great response. I'll look into OneSimCard now. Good also to know that you used it with your BB. Telestial sounds great but they (for some reason) are unsure of their success with BB!

Thanks

OneSim told me that their sims don't always work well with BB "world phones" like the Tour. Did you have trouble with the service? Did you have to use the text messaging alternative to get a call back?

bbtraveler
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
OneSim told me that their sims don't always work well with BB "world phones" like the Tour. Did you have trouble with the service? Did you have to use the text messaging alternative to get a call back?

I use an unlocked 8310, former AT&T BB, so there is no need for special dialing to make calls. Everything works great, the only thing that would be nice is support for BB servers/apps.