PDA

View Full Version : Any way I can import outlook contacts to my Tour without the DM?

MrBBnot
11-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Address book sync on my Desktop Manager isn't working. Can I import contacts without it, say using an csv file or something?

Dubdub
11-19-2010, 08:48 PM
You can try Google sync. It is built into BIS now. Or you can download Google BB sync to the BB ad Google contact Sync to the BB. I think it will sync with Outlook. I know Google calendar will so I assume contacts will also. (I don't use Google contacts, but do use calendar)

MrBBnot
11-19-2010, 08:57 PM
From what I can tell, Google contacts won't sync with outlook (they have a "pro" one for Apps users, but not a regular one); calendar will, but I don't need that. I think for now I'll do an export from Outlook to Google contacts. And then do that Google mobile sync to the BB. Thanks for that.

This is my first BB and honestly, it's been a disappointing experience. I picked BB over Android specifically because I thought it would handle syncing the best.

tsac
11-19-2010, 09:00 PM
You do realize DM is a free appplication from RIM. No reason not to use it.

Dubdub
11-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Google gmail contacts and Outlook will sync as far as I know. If you don't want to use DM, that is your only other option.

MrBBnot
11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Yes, and it worked great until yesterday. After a software update, it cleared all the contacts from my BB, and now Address Books in the DM organizer area is unchecked and listed as "not installed." I tried a few reinstalls of DM, it didn't work, and now I just need my contacts on the phone.

You do realize DM is a free appplication from RIM. No reason not to use it.

MrBBnot
11-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Link? 'Cause I couldn't find anything that would allow syncing between the two (import/export yes, but not syncing.

Google gmail contacts and Outlook will sync as far as I know. If you don't want to use DM, that is your only other option.

Dubdub
11-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Do a Google search on "Google contact sync with Outlook"

MrBBnot
11-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, of course I've already done that. If you do it, you'll see it's not available unless you have Google Apps -- a domain-based business service.

Anyway, so the mobile sync with Google failed. The trouble started after the OS update I did last night, so I'm thinking I need to downgrade the OS.

MrBBnot
11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, i rolled back the BB Os from 5.0.9-something to 5.0.06-something and all is well.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

tsac
11-20-2010, 01:15 PM
interesting. I wonder what bugs are in the 5.0.0.983 OS? fortunatly Sprint still has the older version on it's site.

MrBBnot
11-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I didn't need to go to Sprint. I just rolled back using the Desktop Manager. It's pretty cool that you can do that, actually. I'm also wondering if something just got corrupt during the upgrade, as opposed to there being actual bugs. Since the update was rolled out a couple of days ago, we'll know soon if others are having the same problem.

BTW, where on Sprint did you find the BB OS versions?

MrBBnot
11-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Oh, and the reason I think the upgrade got corrupt is because during the upgrade process I got an error message saying DM was having some problems with the connection. It asked me to unplug the DM and try another USB port, which I did, and the upgrade went fine after that. But I'm wondering if that did something to the upgrade modules.

tsac
11-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I didn't need to go to Sprint. I just rolled back using the Desktop Manager. It's pretty cool that you can do that, actually. I'm also wondering if something just got corrupt during the upgrade, as opposed to there being actual bugs. Since the update was rolled out a couple of days ago, we'll know soon if others are having the same problem.

BTW, where on Sprint did you find the BB OS versions?

go to BlackBerry - Support & Services (http://www.blackberry.com/support) then select downloads and from there the carrier.