PDA

View Full Version : Playbook in the wild

evenmosbek
11-26-2010, 08:49 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1594/playbookinthewild.th.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/i/playbookinthewild.jpg)

Dubdub
11-26-2010, 09:00 AM
In the wild where? Looks like an old picture to me.

simonsage
11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I think you mean "printout covering a cardboard box in the wild".

Cooper
11-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I think you mean "printout covering a cardboard box in the wild".

Yeah agreed. it's an absolute fake.

tsac
11-28-2010, 04:34 PM
looks like a clock radio.

knottyrope
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
did i miss the point?

Xion901
11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
I think i missed it too. is that suppose to be a playbook?

haroldlerner
11-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Can I operate the playbook with the sim card from my bb torch?:idea:

knottyrope
12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Can I operate the playbook with the sim card from my bb torch?:idea:

If you get the 3g version you might be able to. But it should tether to you torch anyways out of the box.

JSanders
12-02-2010, 10:25 AM
There won't initially be any 3G versions of the Playbook. All WiFi and/or tethered to your Blackberry device.

NJBlackBerry
12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
That's what we've been told....

penguin3107
12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
The current Apple iPad is still going to crush anything that RIM or whomever puts to market.
By the time RIM decides to add 3G or 4G to their little toy, Apple will have their iPad 2 or iPad 3 available to crush that one too.

Cooper
12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
The current Apple iPad is still going to crush anything that RIM or whomever puts to market.
By the time RIM decides to add 3G or 4G to their little toy, Apple will have their iPad 2 or iPad 3 available to crush that one too.

This gave me a chuckle.

The iPad is more toy than business productivity device.

The iPad will get a refresh next year, probably in April for a June/July release.

RIM will have the PlayBook launched by May at the latest across NA (US first, Canada a couple of months later)

The biggest thing Apple could do for the iPad is having HD output and a Dual-Core processor.

I think a lot of people (yourself included) miss the whole point of the PlayBook. Custom apps where your playbook can be designed from the ground up to do one single function. Security in the message relay and e-mail system. And of course, for any business... the ability to set policies on the device to avoid your employees doing something like, oh I don’t know... moving their whole music library to a work device, and installing useless apps and games on it.

Imagine a business deploys 500 iPads to its users. How do they control what is installed on them? They don't. Each user gets an iTunes account and can do whatever the hell they want.

Oh I'm sure you'd say "but there's software you can BUY to secure the iPad" which of course doesn't make sense. Buy a device that isn't capable of being deployed in a large workplace and then pay additional monies to secure it so that it's used by your idiot employees the way you want.

Playbook will do quite well. RIM is making a change and if they keep it up they'll do fine in the future.

Everyone always talks with such a narrow mind on this stuff. It's like all everyone cares about is the North American consumer market, which of course allows them to speculate that anything RIM puts out will fail miserably.

WAIT AND SEE, because unless you have some specific arguments as to why it will fail, you're just talking shit.

penguin3107
12-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Everyone always talks with such a narrow mind on this stuff.
Such as this:

The iPad is more toy than business productivity device... blah blah blah
Right. And the iPhone is just for high-school kids... and Android is just for computer geeks... and the Blackberry is just for professionals... and Macs are only for graphics people...

I've already posted my reasons that I think the Playbook will fail, in other threads.
Feel free to look those up if you really care to read what kind of shit I'm talking.

Cooper
12-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Such as this:

Right. And the iPhone is just for high-school kids... and Android is just for computer geeks... and the Blackberry is just for professionals... and Macs are only for graphics people...

I've already posted my reasons that I think the Playbook will fail, in other threads.
Feel free to look those up if you really care to read what kind of shit I'm talking.

Lol... Macs being only for graphics people who want to live in a world of overpriced hardware.

jimn367
12-03-2010, 11:58 AM
...Playbook will do quite well. RIM is making a change and if they keep it up they'll do fine in the future.

Everyone always talks with such a narrow mind on this stuff. It's like all everyone cares about is the North American consumer market, which of course allows them to speculate that anything RIM puts out will fail miserably.

WAIT AND SEE, because unless you have some specific arguments as to why it will fail, you're just talking ####.

Four or Five months ago, heck even two months ago, I would have been pretty confident that the playbook would be a failure. That is because my judgements would have been based upon seeing products launching today, and their innovation over the products they arre replacing. WHich to be honest [IMO] is pretty much nil.

However, RIM has made some very interesting aquisitions as of late (Dataviz, QNX, and The Amazing Tribe (TAT)) that make me think that at least RIM realizes they need a leap ahead. My hope is that TAT has already been hard at work under cover and that their influence will be felt sooner than later.

I still have to say, though, that I still have a hard time understanding the business model for the Playbook. I cannot see a lot of Fortune 500 Companies with [cost conscious] IT departments forking over $$$ for a tablet for any, but an exclusive few. Especially considering it probably will not be a total laptop replacement. If it is a consumer device I struggle how I could buy this myself and still be able to access my secured BES data, unless it is just a view of what is stored on my BB, which lessens the device's utility.

If the playbook is part of some strategy to replace every laptop with a more secure replacement then maybe...

knottyrope
12-08-2010, 04:43 PM
BlackBerry PlayBook hands-on video demo | BGR | Boy Genius Report (http://www.bgr.com/2010/12/08/blackberry-playbook-hands-on-video-demo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28BGR+%7C+Boy+Genius+Report%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher)
enjoy

stanfna
12-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I want one!!!

spiff72
12-19-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm what most would call an Apple fanboy, and I still want one of these. Flash support alone is the clincher for me.

If you don't have a BB, this is still useful, right? Can you tether it to an Android phone, for example? (Via wifi or USB?)

knottyrope
12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
PlayBook will have WiFi and you dont have to use a BB with it.

penguin3107
12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Can you tether it to an Android phone, for example?
Via WiFi, yes... and RIM grow a brain and market this fact like crazy.
The playbook isn't competing with Android phones. In fact, it would complement them quite nicely.