PDA

View Full Version : should i buy a bb?

carolyna
11-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm using an e71 right now and i want to change it to a blackberry because i really don't like symbian os it looks extremely old. i send e-mails and text messages a lot. i want to be connected with social networks all the time. i also want to be able to download lots of apps which is the part i hate the most about nokia, ovi is terrible!! do you think i should change my e71 with a blackberry or should i keep it? and if i should change, which blackberry do you prefer?

aiharkness
11-26-2010, 03:12 PM
It's hard to say.

Here are some things you will want to be aware of: The blackberry is really an end-to-end system. The device is the hardware interface to the blackberry network and services. You will need a blackberry-specific data plan to use the blackberry services, and this includes the RIM-developed social apps you likely will be interested in. The good news is this data service is not on top of another mobile data plan, but instead of. But you will need it to use the RIM/blackberry data services.

Another thing is the blackberry is purpose built to be very secure. This may or may not be a problem for you, but you may find you can't do certain things or things will not be as straightforward as what you have been used to.

You'll find the browser and media apps are not as far along as the smartphone competition nowadays. If that isn't as important to you, then it probably won't matter to you.

What the blackberry excells at--in my opinion--is communication, whether voice or data (email, BBM, etc).

Lastly, if you do get a blackberry, forget what you know and take the blackberry as it is and don't assume it's another phone-PDA like you've used before.

Dubdub
11-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Which one I prefer would most likely be the one for you. I use mine for business as most other BB users do. But there are many who use the social media apps, SMS and voice only.

I suggest that you give serious consideration to what aiharkness says in the post above. There are a lot of good points that he brings out.

Next, read through the Social Media section and see what other users have to say. Then visit your local phone store, talk to the sales staff, look at your options and then take one for a test drive. Most carriers will let you use one for some short period of time to see how you like it, but make sure you ask about this before you jump.

However, IMHO, judging from your post and your needs, a BB might not be the device for you. Perhaps an iPhone or an Android device would be a more appropriate selection.

tsac
11-26-2010, 03:50 PM
One of your issues is the inability to download Apps you want. I would go to the Blackberry site and look at the available Apps. You may not be satisfied with the ones available. Look for AppWorld.

dc/dc
11-27-2010, 04:36 AM
One post is enough.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/1677595-post23.html

neoakshat
11-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Really depends on what you want to get out of your device...I see the choice as very clear...If its entertainment(Read: apps, squash the ants an the likes) you seek, BB is clearly not the device. If its sheer convenience, speed and Utilitarianism you seek- There is no alternative to the BB. aah, if battery is a point imp for you....BB wins there !!

carolyna
11-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Thanks a lot for your responses, blackberry is clearly not for me. I am probably going to buy an Android phone.

aiharkness
11-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Good luck.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

rambo47
11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Android for number of apps. Or, dare I suggest it, the iPhone?

BlackBerrys are not for everybody. They are highly purpose-driven devices for professional grade communication, reliability, and security. Sure, the can do entertainment apps and light multimedia, but they're not designed with those functions in mind. There are no "fart apps" for BlackBerry (thank God!). Just be honest about what your priorities are and how you will really use your phone on a daily basis. That's the way to choose the one that's right for you.

carolyna
11-28-2010, 12:34 PM
I have an iPod touch so I don't want to buy an iphone. I think I'll buy a HTC Desire HD.

stevetaz
11-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Wrong rambo.....https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/792

rambo47
11-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Wrong rambo.....https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/792

Oh dear God. :cry: Between Paris Hilton carrying a BlackBerry and now this, surely the apocalypse is upon us.

MERK350Z
11-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm using an e71 right now and i want to change it to a blackberry because i really don't like symbian os it looks extremely old. i send e-mails and text messages a lot. i want to be connected with social networks all the time. i also want to be able to download lots of apps which is the part i hate the most about nokia, ovi is terrible!! do you think i should change my e71 with a blackberry or should i keep it? and if i should change, which blackberry do you prefer?

Hey carolyn, Just as a heads up the blackberry is a great device but as a serious multiple mead device it is not . When I say multi media I mean as in movie or video playback only . But the blackberry exceeds in all departments when it comes down to music playback pics and video recording . It's easy to use and if you saying your a social bug then this is the weapon to use :) I think you will be very happy and with the blackberry service your never behind on the updates from friends. Also your emails will be near instant . I have the 9800 and ten 9700 but I like the 9800 because it has the touch screen and the keyboard so I have the best of bothe worlds when I need it. I would def do the 9800 if I were you or if you don't care for touch screen I would do the 9700 the cams and the video recording on both units aRe awesome. You will be able to find many apps that will do what you need them to do . Hope this helped .