PDA

View Full Version : Core Applications Update

gldfshkpr
11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
New phone here, not new to BB. I've had this prompt come up a few times during a BB Desktop session, "Blackberry 6.0.0 Core Applications" under Application Summary - Pending Actions. I've run it once or twice. Can somebody tell me why it keeps returning?

Edit. Oh, and I suspect this might have something to do with adding BB Maps a couple days ago. Now I can't find it on my phone but BB Desktop says it's installed.

Dubdub
11-30-2010, 09:35 PM
AT&T hides it so I doubt that you will see it. Many have tried and I don't recall much success. Try Google Maps. I like it better than the BB product.

gldfshkpr
11-30-2010, 09:44 PM
AT&T hides it so I doubt that you will see it. Many have tried and I don't recall much success. Try Google Maps. I like it better than the BB product.
Yeah, I remember them doing that on my 8700. Somebody figured out a work around on that one. It involved downloading the BB OS and editing the vendor out. I did install Google Maps on the road today to try it out. Was disappointed not finding voice nav.

Dubdub
11-30-2010, 10:05 PM
No free voice navigation apps AFAIK. You have to pay for voice directions and auto-reroute. See the yellow sticky at the top of the GPS & Maps section for reviews of most of the BB map apps.

I still recommend getting a stand alone GPS unit rather than trying to use a BB (or any other phone/Smartphone) as a navigation device, especially in a moving vehicle. Cost are at or below the paid services, the devices are very easy to update and they don't require a cell data signal for maps. And it talks to you and has a large POI data base as well.

gldfshkpr
11-30-2010, 10:15 PM
No free voice navigation apps AFAIK. You have to pay for voice directions and auto-reroute. See the yellow sticky at the top of the GPS & Maps section for reviews of most of the BB map apps.

I still recommend getting a stand alone GPS unit rather than trying to use a BB (or any other phone/Smartphone) as a navigation device, especially in a moving vehicle. Cost are at or below the paid services, the devices are very easy to update and they don't require a cell data signal for maps. And it talks to you and has a large POI data base as well.

Thanks. I spent some time going over the sticky before posting here.

Back to the core applications update issue, I got the update notice before removing BB Maps and after. Then connected a third time and no update prompt. I think maybe AT&T has it's claws in BB OS a little deeper this time when it come's to BB Maps. We'll see over time if that corrected the issue.

Will keep you posted if the issue returns. Thanks again.

Dubdub
11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Have fun.

gldfshkpr
12-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah, still getting the prompt to update the core app. Everytime I go into the Applications part of BB Desktop. Anybody have any ideas? I shouldn't have to keep installing this update!!