PDA

View Full Version : MAPI error when attempting Blackberry sql db moves

technofile
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I have two sql servers. I've been moving db's from the 'old' to the 'new' one in phases.
Today I attempted the Blackberry SQL db moves.

My environment:

server1 - old (and active) SQL Server 2005
was and is now again the location for MDSS, MDSS_DIS & BESMgmt db's
server2 - MS Exchange server 2003 & Blackberry Server s/w
Blackberry version 4.1.4 (Bundle 25)
The only thing changed on this server during the SQL db move attempt was to edit
server.xml file to point to the new SQL server, but I have it back as it was, AND
this is the server where the Blackberry services are and were stopped
server3 - new (and active) SQL Server 2005

I followed KB03112 to move the Blackberry Config Mngr db (BESMgmt) from server 1 to server 3. I also followed KB12714 to move the Blackberry MDSS db's to new server 3.
At the step where I modified BlackBerry Enterprise Server Config on server 2 to point from server 1 to server 3, I got this
error:

The MAPI subsystem cannot be correctly initialized and used. Please make sure MAPI is installed and configured properly.

I have 'undone' all of the steps in the KB's above and have attached the db's BACK to the old SQL Server (#1) and put everything back where it belongs.

Can anybody tell me what to restore to get the Configuration Manager back to it's original state?

I'm pretty sure that error has popped up before when everything was running (before i touched it) when entering either Manager or Server configuration.

Now I cannot get the Configuration wizard to complete, even after reverting back to the old server name & db name. When I click Next on the SRP Authication Info screen, the error is:

The MAPI subsystem cannot be correctly initialized and used. Please make sure MAPI is installed and configured properly. (FYI- the SRP KEY and ID validate successfully).

Help?

Ridgeback
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
MAPI.dll from microsoft hot fixes. Danger Will Robinson. Need to know what version is on your exchange as you don't want the one on BES to be a higher version and the CDO.dll and the MAPI.dll on your BES have to be compatible. see article KB04912.

technofile
12-03-2010, 04:43 PM
thank you for helping!

According to KB04912, the cdo.dll is registered and the location is this:
c:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\cdo.dll

I don't know how to know what version it is, and I don't see another one on that server.

also, i don't find MAPI.dll anywhere. Just InstMAPI.dll, F1307_InstMAPI.dll &
MailServerMAPI.dll.24CE78.....long number.

i didn't upgrade anything. How would MAPI have changed?

knottyrope
12-03-2010, 05:02 PM
right click the CDO.DLL and look at properties for the version

technofile
12-03-2010, 05:12 PM
cdo.dll is version 6.5.7654.12

technofile
12-03-2010, 05:16 PM
cdo.dll is version 6.5.7654.12 (Exchange 2003 SP2)
located c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin\cdo.dll 11/25/2008

MAILServerMAPI.dll version 4.2.2.7 (Release build by absadmin on host ABS23YKF)
c:\Program files\common files\Research in Motion

these files must have been compatible prior to the sql db move. i didn't upgrade anything on this server (knowingly).

any more ideas?

nobody7290
12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Have you checked this:
KB10285-How to re-create the BlackBerry Enterprise Server MAPI profile (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10285)

You told, you have not changed anything regarding the mapi and cdo files.
If you want to try to fix something here, even, if it is unlikely that this helps:
Search on the server for all instances of MAPI32.DLL
rename all to something like MAPI32.DLX
run fixmapi from a command prompt
verify that after this a mapi32.dll is present in the %windir%\system32 folder.
search for the CDO.DLL, and rename all CDO.DLL with the exeption of the
c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin\cdo.dll to cdo.dlx
search for exmapi.dll, also make sure you only have one file which is present
register the exmapi and the cdo.dll using the full path like:
regsvr32 c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin\cdo.dl

reboot the server.
check if it works now, or again try to recreate the BES mapi profile like outlined in the KB10285