PDA

View Full Version : How do I find out what app is chewing up data?

larivro
12-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I get calls from users that complain that they have a $500 overage on their bill because of data but they don't use their browser or anything else. Is there a program we can install on the Blackberries that would break down the data usage by application? We mostly have Bold 9000 but we are starting to get 9700, 9780 and the torch.

tsac
12-03-2010, 06:14 PM
It might help if you list their apps even the ones that come with the BB they do use.
My guess is they have something that is polling for data. texting, Facebook, Twitter, or GPS use.

aiharkness
12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm generally aware of at least one app that monitors total data usage. So far I've not heard of one that reports by app. Not to say there isn't one.

I agree with tsac that the most straightforward approach would be to look at the installed apps and go from there. And I too would look for apps that repeatedly hit the network for updates. And pay attention to apps that have the option to run in the background when closed, and doublecheck if that feature is enabled, and disable it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

tsac
12-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I was hoping the OP responded to the question. interested in seeing what he said.