PDA

View Full Version : Did I just buy a refurb?

bookie9873
12-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi guys,

I've been wanting to get an 8330 for a while since I got an 8310 through a job which I've since resigned from (I really like the keyboard and the speed of the earlier OS).

I found an auction and specifically asked if the phone was refurbished and the seller said no (and said it was new).

I got a phone with a red RF sticker on it, see image below

Further, while the body of the phone seems pretty much new, the keys don't seem to have the right pressure/feel as compared to the 8310. Further, the back panel is very difficult to remove and replace onto the phone.

Is this a refurb? (the pin appears fresh though)

granted, this one was made is mexico -- that could account for the shoddy quality of it as well (I've found that to be the case at least with newer touchpads from mexico -- they dont work so well)

Thanks guys

tsac
12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I cannot see from your photo if the water indicator has turned red. on some 8330's the battery also had an indicator. There are some photos on other posts on this forum and the info tag does not look like yours.
Others may have a different opinon but i guess it's a referb. If it works ok then it may not be a big deal.
I bought a referb 9700 and i have no issues with it.

bookie9873
12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I called in the ESN -- it has been used before

either way -- the keys are horrible, even if it had been new, i wouldn't use it

thanks for the info though

bookie9873
12-04-2010, 11:44 AM
As a service to those curious about a refurb, I've attached a full set of photos of the refurb, the sticker, the box and a comparison of the back of a real retail phone and a refurb phone

hope this helps someone

tsac
12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
You might try some of the carriers phones available in the retail stores like BestBuy or online at Amazon. They have been running deals as low as $0.00 just to get customers. ATT had one( 9800) on Amazon for free with a 2 year contract. If your going to use the BB anyway you might as well get a new one and free is always good.
I'm not reccomending these but this is just some i saw,