PDA

View Full Version : Some final questions before I buy...please help!!

FightingDevil
01-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi! New user and first time poster here...this seems to be the place to come to get your BB questions answered! Hopefully you all can help me out, I've searched but can't seem to get a firm answer to some of my questions. I'm looking to purchase an 8700 unlocked for T-Mobile to be used primarily for email and web browsing. Thanks!!

Multiple Users & Reply-to's:
- My wife and I are looking to share the BB for business trips/client trips, etc. We both work at coporations where BES is not an option, so we're planning on redirecting/forwarding to the BB. It seems that supporting multiple reply-to's is something left to PocketDay or other 3rd party apps. Am I correct? How well do these apps work? If I redirect my abc@<hidden> email and use the reply-to feature in PocketDay, does it look like I'm replying from abc@<hidden>?

Email Filters on the BB itself:
- Does the mail client (or a 3rd party app) allow for the creation of folders that I can filter incoming messages to? For example, my wifes corporate email goes to her folder, my corp email to mine and our gmail pop info to a shared folder?

International Use:
- We're planning on traveling to the UK for a week this summer. Can I just call T-Mobile, have them turn some plan or feature on and use my BB seamlessly? Will my email work?

Sorry if these are real noob questions, but before I drop 400+ bucks on something, I would like to make sure that it's going to meet my needs! Thanks in advance for you time and advice!! 8-)

knr
01-18-2006, 03:40 PM
While I can't answer to your other two questions, I can tell you that traveling to the UK with your BB is painfully easy. In fact, I had my unit activated 24 hours before I left for the UK and it worked flawlessly the moment I stepped off the plane.

When you sign up, make sure the rep activates "WorldClass International Service" on your account. Tell the rep that you're going to the UK and you want the 'Berry to work over there. If memory serves, international roaming data transfer costs something like .10/kb.

As a side note, the T-Mobile network over in the UK is awesome; I had almost full signal basically 24/7 while I was over there, including London proper and the countryside.

Have a good time!

-Kyle

dkmadrid
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Multiple Users & Reply-to's:
- My wife and I are looking to share the BB for business trips/client trips, etc. We both work at coporations where BES is not an option, so we're planning on redirecting/forwarding to the BB. It seems that supporting multiple reply-to's is something left to PocketDay or other 3rd party apps. Am I correct? How well do these apps work? If I redirect my abc@<hidden> email and use the reply-to feature in PocketDay, does it look like I'm replying from abc@<hidden>?

Works great! I use Pocketday and am able to configure 10 reply-to email addresses. So within the BWC (or BIC) you set the default reply-to email address and configure the others within Pocketday. When you create/reply/forward a message, clicking the trackwheel allows you to Set Reply and lists the email addresses you have configured by common name:

Set Reply: (Home)
Set Reply: (Wife's work)
Set Reply: (Gmail), etc...

I can definitely vouch for the feature. Sorry I can't address the other questions.

ShaneToronto
01-18-2006, 04:01 PM
however one thing to be clear on is that pocket day only chages the REPLY TO address, not the FROM address or the name it comes from. All that is modified is the address to which the user will reply to if they click the reply button in outlook.

myownminerva
01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
the BIS allows for filters. i am not sure if T-Mobile supports international data on their bb.

lrdiaz
01-18-2006, 04:35 PM
the BIS allows for filters. i am not sure if T-Mobile supports international data on their bb.
TMO supports BB data with every network they have a roaming agreement with.
Intl BB data will cost you per kb unless you add-on the unlimited Intl BB plan for an additional 19.99 per month. You can cancel the add-on when you get back from your trip. TMO will remove the add-on at the end of your billing cycle.

FightingDevil
01-18-2006, 08:52 PM
however one thing to be clear on is that pocket day only chages the REPLY TO address, not the FROM address or the name it comes from. All that is modified is the address to which the user will reply to if they click the reply button in outlook.

Thanks ShaneToronto...just one followup. Would the FROM address be my tmo.blackberry.net address or the address that the email originally comes from? For example Exchange redirects a corporate email (mycorp.com) and I reply-to that account, the FROM is mycorp.com, right? Thanks alot!

Looking more and more like I'm getting a BB!! :bb:

dkmadrid
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the address you have designated as your Reply-To address in the BIC.

FightingDevil
01-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the address you have designated as your Reply-To address in the BIC.
that's what i thought...and if you use PocketDay, you need to leave that blank and it will get filled in with what you choose....

myownminerva
01-18-2006, 11:18 PM
you should buy sprint/nextel ;-) (not really, i like the 8700 better but dont tell the ppl i work for)

kunal
01-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Works great! I use Pocketday and am able to configure 10 reply-to email addresses. So within the BWC (or BIC) you set the default reply-to email address and configure the others within Pocketday. When you create/reply/forward a message, clicking the trackwheel allows you to Set Reply and lists the email addresses you have configured by common name:

Set Reply: (Home)
Set Reply: (Wife's work)
Set Reply: (Gmail), etc...

I can definitely vouch for the feature. Sorry I can't address the other questions.

which service do you use?

FightingDevil
01-19-2006, 02:11 PM
myownminerva: thanks for the nextel plug! i actually use an i830 as my cell phone. direct connect is pretty big in the fire service in SE PA (the only real reason I keep the nextel as my cell phone...service is lousy in my house and there's no plans on fixing them!)

kunal: t-mobile has the cheapest unlimited data plan and pretty good coverage in major cities..as well as the int'l roaming thing..that's why I'm going with them (and the ability to get an 8700 as well!)

BTW...does anyone have a thought about what dkmadrid and i were talking about? the reply-to can be set by PocketDay, but if I redirect/fwd an email to my BB, what's the FROM address? Thanks!!

Seattle18
01-19-2006, 02:17 PM
that's what i thought...and if you use PocketDay, you need to leave that blank and it will get filled in with what you choose....
Wait a minute, are you saying if I get PocketDay I can erase the From address on my Cingular BIS page and let PocketDay fill it in with the Reply-To feature? Doesn;t sound right, but if it works this way then I am getting PocketDay immediately. Please confirm...

FightingDevil
01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Wait a minute, are you saying if I get PocketDay I can erase the From address on my Cingular BIS page and let PocketDay fill it in with the Reply-To feature? Doesn;t sound right, but if it works this way then I am getting PocketDay immediately. Please confirm...

That's what I'm trying to confirm as well!! 8-)

blkberryboy
01-19-2006, 02:45 PM
that's why I'm going with them (and the ability to get an 8700 as well!)
The 8700 is avail. on T-MO where you are located? Wow its not even on the business site yet. If you can get the 8700 on T-Mobile, count me in. I'll take 2.

FightingDevil
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
The 8700 is avail. on T-MO where you are located? Wow its not even on the business site yet. If you can get the 8700 on T-Mobile, count me in. I'll take 2.

It's not yet, you're right! I'm going unlocked...but at this rate, the 90 days shoule end in a couple of weeks...I might just wait a bit and grab it then!! (y)

blkberryboy
01-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Ok...Whew I was a little excited. I thought maybe it was staggered launch type of thing. I am just going to ride it out until the 8700t is released as well.

<Slapping myself in the forehead>

dkmadrid
01-19-2006, 03:13 PM

I don't know if that's true, although I have to admit I've never tried it. I'm curious as to whether or not the BIS will all there to not be an address in the reply-to address field. I think I'll try it.

dkmadrid
01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
which service do you use?

What do you mean by service? Not sure if this is what you mean, but I am through VZW. I run PocketDay Professional and have had it for quite some time (very soon after CRS released it). In fact, if memory serves, when CRS first released the upgrade to Professional it was free to anyone who had the original PocketDay application, but that was many months ago. I love the application for reasons well beyond the reply-to configuration, it truly is the most used application on my BB. They have done a great job of creating a front-page interface for your BB that once you become accustomed to it, it's hard to imagine manipulating the BB OS without it.

FightingDevil
01-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't know if that's true, although I have to admit I've never tried it. I'm curious as to whether or not the BIS will all there to not be an address in the reply-to address field. I think I'll try it.

Has anyone tried at all? Does the from address change or just the reply-to address? This is really the make or break for me!

takeshi
01-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Yes, if you integrate and email account via the T-Mobile BIS then BOTH the From: and ReplyTo: addresses will be whatever the email address of that account is. In other words, if I reply or compose a new email on my Blackberry and specify my Gmail account for the Using: field then it will fully appear to come from my Gmail account as far as the recipient is concerned (unless the recipient is clever enough to really read and interpret all the headers carefully).

dkmadrid
01-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Yes, if you integrate and email account via the T-Mobile BIS then BOTH the From: and ReplyTo: addresses will be whatever the email address of that account is. In other words, if I reply or compose a new email on my Blackberry and specify my Gmail account for the Using: field then it will fully appear to come from my Gmail account as far as the recipient is concerned (unless the recipient is clever enough to really read and interpret all the headers carefully).

Interesting, this must be a limitation of the VZW BIS. I tried to specify no email address and was not allowed. I tried to set the Sent From Another Address field to just display my first and last name and wasn't allowed (error stating email address is in the wrong format). Man, I wish VZW BIS acted the way it appears the TMO BIS does.

takeshi
01-20-2006, 08:14 AM
T-Mo's currently the only carrier that upgraded to this version of BIS. I know's Cingular's working on it (especially since a number of T-Mo users had problems during the move). Haven't heard for other carriers.

Another nifty feature is that you get BES-like integration with Yahoo mail.

FightingDevil
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
T-Mo's currently the only carrier that upgraded to this version of BIS. I know's Cingular's working on it (especially since a number of T-Mo users had problems during the move). Haven't heard for other carriers.

Another nifty feature is that you get BES-like integration with Yahoo mail.

AWESOME!!! That seals it then...I'm going with T-Mobile and getting a BB! I think I'll wait the week or two for them to offer the 8700 and pick it up at the new contract rate (since I will be signing a new contract, anyway!). Why pay more than I have to!! Thanks to everyone for their posts....what a great board we got here!!

:bb:

dkmadrid
01-21-2006, 03:20 PM
F***in' figures, at least they're consistent. Phones aren't the only thing VZW is the last to get...

Seattle18
01-21-2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=24452