PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with new Blackberry's

mikeyp
12-14-2010, 05:45 AM
I have been using the Bold 9000 since it came out and its now time to replace it.

So I have a dilemma. I am sure I am not alone.

I tried the 9800 Torch and hated it. Didn't like the physical keyboard as its hard to use - the screen open makes it heavy on the hands. Nice screen size though. Also tried the iphone 4 and HTC Desire HD which are great toys but hopeless for business messaging and calendar management.

I now have the 9780. The new OS is great. But the screen is smaller than the 9000. Only a bit, but it makes quite a bit of difference. Its the difference between useable and not useable. Keyboard is also smaller. I have big hands and fat fingers and find the 9780 quite cramped to use.

What I really want is larger blackberry. If I could get something that had the same size keyboard and screen as the 9000 I would be happy. But ideally the screen would be quite a bit bigger - say ~30%

Do Blackberry have such a device in the pipeline? Or are they succumbing to soft keyboards (yuk!) ?

Thx,
Mike.

dc/dc
12-14-2010, 05:54 AM
This sounds more like a rant to me...

mikeyp
12-14-2010, 05:55 AM
err...no.

I have set the scene for my problem and then asking a relevant question. This is what forums are for. Do you have anything constructive to add?

dc/dc
12-14-2010, 06:25 AM
No, you ranted about how the 9800 and 9780 suck.

mikeyp
12-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Err no. Suggest you read my post again and also refrain from commenting unless you have something useful to say. No need to be so aggressive and rude.

dc/dc
12-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Err no. Suggest you read my post again and also refrain from commenting unless you have something useful to say. No need to be so aggressive and rude.

http://www.sportaphile.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/camron-u-mad.gif

My posts were neither aggressive or rude, and I read your post several times. It's a rant.

mikeyp
12-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Chillax dude. I am merely asking question about future products, having set the scene. Now if you have nothing positive to add, please just fek off and stop trolling.

Rainbowtyedye
12-14-2010, 08:26 AM
I think it might be more of an industry problem than just a BB problem. My SO has a Palm Treo, wants to switch to a newer phone, but can't stand the keys on anything that's out now. The keys on his phone are great, they're raised up and there's quite a bit of room between them.

I wish the manufacturers would focus less on apps and bling and more on usability. I love having the ability to communicate on the run, but I hate typing an email on my BB that's more than a few sentences.

mikeyp
12-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Thx for the useful response Rainbowtyedye. The App'n'Bling focused initiative kicked off by Apple sure is a distraction.

andrewknight
12-14-2010, 01:36 PM
There is certainly nothing in the current range to compete with the keyboard/screen combination on the 9000.
I'm wondering why you feel the need to replace your 9000?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

mikeyp
12-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Because my 9000 is totally fekked. I just ordered the 9780 as that was latest in the Bold range.

Seems like I should track down a new 9000 from somewhere. Guess some retailers will have them at knock down prices in the UK.

More significantly, was wondering what if anything was in the pipeline that was as big the Bold 9000 or bigger. Any rumours?

ronin2046
12-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't think they'll go back to the size and form factor of the 9000...

Too bad. I love my 9000.

dc/dc
12-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Chillax dude. I am merely asking question about future products, having set the scene. Now if you have nothing positive to add, please just fek off and stop trolling.

I have nearly 9500 posts and you think I'm a troll? Likely.

Dubdub
12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Because my 9000 is totally fekked. I just ordered the 9780 as that was latest in the Bold range.

Seems like I should track down a new 9000 from somewhere. Guess some retailers will have them at knock down prices in the UK.

More significantly, was wondering what if anything was in the pipeline that was as big the Bold 9000 or bigger. Any rumours?

Mikeyp, if you are looking for info on new or rumored BBs, see the Rumors section. We are in no way connected with RIM nor do we have any inside information.'

And please leave your attitude at the door when you enter our humble abode. It is not needed nor is it tolerated.

andrewknight
12-15-2010, 03:35 PM
@<hidden> If you must tell anyone to check their attitude you should be talking to dc/dc. He began the exchange by failing to understand the English language.

dc/dc
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
@<hidden> If you must tell anyone to check their attitude you should be talking to dc/dc. He began the exchange by failing to understand the English language.

LOL!! I fail to understand the English language now? You're funny! (y)

andrewknight
12-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Thanks mate.

dc/dc
12-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Thanks mate.

Cheers.

mikeyp
12-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Mikeyp, if you are looking for info on new or rumored BBs, see the Rumors section. We are in no way connected with RIM nor do we have any inside information.'

And please leave your attitude at the door when you enter our humble abode. It is not needed nor is it tolerated.

Dubdub - I have no attitude. However I was miffed by DC/DC's comments as he was accusing my of ranting. Now where I come from, England, this is accepted form of communication. I set the scene for my problem and asked a valid question; after all, this is precisely what internet forums are for. DC/DC accused me more than once of ranting, and quite frankly, his posts are out of order. I am surprised, in your capacity as moderator, that you are condoning his posts and "attitude".

dc/dc
12-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Dubdub - I have no attitude. However I was miffed by DC/DC's comments as he was accusing my of ranting. Now where I come from, England, this is accepted form of communication. I set the scene for my problem and asked a valid question; after all, this is precisely what internet forums are for. DC/DC accused me more than once of ranting, and quite frankly, his posts are out of order. I am surprised, in your capacity as moderator, that you are condoning his posts and "attitude".

Tut tut. There's a whole section just for posts like yours mate. I simply pointed that out to you. I'm sorry that you got your knickers in a bunch about it. Can we just kiss and make up?

mikeyp
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Tut tut. There's a whole section just for posts like yours mate. I simply pointed that out to you. I'm sorry that you got your knickers in a bunch about it. Can we just kiss and make up?

Err - no you didn't point any such thing out. All you did was unjustly accused me of ranting.

I haven't got my knickers in a bunch.

Your post's were trolling posts - unwarranted and unreasonable.

aiharkness
12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Two opinions from me:

Rant versus not a rant is partly in eye of the beholder, no matter what the author thinks. I didn't see it as a rant, but that's me.

To the point, I think the momentum on the traditional BlackBerry track is toward smaller and lighter. The other developing track, I think obvious, is toward touch. I wonder if the slider style and the flip style will become established, or fall by the wayside eventually.

I used to think the 8700 had the best keyboard and would never be topped. I used the 88XX and tolerated it. But I quickly got used to the 9700 keyboard and I think it's the best ever for me. For me, the breakthrough was to just stop paying attention to the keypad and just type. I don't have fat thumbs, but not slender either.

I doubt we will see larger housings and larger overall keypads.

rambo47
12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
The Torch 9800 is the newest thing you're going to find, and probably will be the basis for new BB's down the road. Maybe if they made the keyboard slide out from the side instead of the bottom they could have made it bigger and more spacious. I've never understood the insistance of some companies (like Palm with the Pre) on using a slider that's about 1/2 as wide as it could be, simply out of a sense of aesthetics. Form over function only works for Apple. ;-)

djm2
12-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Your post's were trolling posts - unwarranted and unreasonable.

Here we go again. Please pass the popcorn.

mriff
12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I have been using the Bold 9000 since it came out and its now time to replace it.

I tried the 9800 Torch and hated it. Didn't like the physical keyboard as its hard to use - the screen open makes it heavy on the hands. Nice screen size though. Also tried the iphone 4 and HTC Desire HD which are great toys but hopeless for business messaging and calendar management.

I now have the 9780. The new OS is great. But the screen is smaller than the 9000. Only a bit, but it makes quite a bit of difference. Its the difference between useable and not useable. Keyboard is also smaller. I have big hands and fat fingers and find the 9780 quite cramped to use.

What I really want is larger blackberry. If I could get something that had the same size keyboard and screen as the 9000 I would be happy. But ideally the screen would be quite a bit bigger - say ~30%

Do Blackberry have such a device in the pipeline? Or are they succumbing to soft keyboards (yuk!) ?

Thx,
Mike.
It's a rant. That doesn't make it bad. I think all that was being pointed out is that there is a specific forum for this. :smile:

mriff
12-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Here we go again. Please pass the popcorn.
My pleasure.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/popcorn.jpg

dc/dc
12-24-2010, 04:54 AM
It's a rant. That doesn't make it bad. I think all that was being pointed out is that there is a specific forum for this. :smile:

Exactly. :)

mike71857
12-26-2010, 07:28 PM

You should research phones independently and buy the one you like and don't tell anyone on here what you bought. Keep it a secret,that would be amazing if you could do that.

Thx,
Mike.

tsac
12-26-2010, 08:36 PM
WOW NJBlackBerry

mike71857
12-26-2010, 08:59 PM

Thx,
Mike.

You should research phones independently and buy the one you like and don't tell anyone on here what you bought. Keep it a secret,that would be amazing if you could do that

djm2
12-26-2010, 10:28 PM
wow

andrewknight
12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
What a bunch of tossers.

Sytner
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
What a bunch of tossers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and thus you have stated yours. If you have nothing constructive to add to the community then kindly refrain from speaking.

SuperDave57
12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I think it might be more of an industry problem than just a BB problem. My SO has a Palm Treo, wants to switch to a newer phone, but can't stand the keys on anything that's out now. The keys on his phone are great, they're raised up and there's quite a bit of room between them.

I wish the manufacturers would focus less on apps and bling and more on usability. I love having the ability to communicate on the run, but I hate typing an email on my BB that's more than a few sentences.

I have a 9700 and I too miss the larger keyboards of the older Blackberry models. Have you tried Dragon for Blackberry? It's voice recognition software and it works great and is free! I can dictate emails with very few corrections to make afterward.

Dave

Sytner
12-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Also you could invest in a bluetooth keyboard if you wished. This will give quite possible the best typing experience for inputting data to a mobile device. It's purely a suggestion.

This one is BlackBerry Certified: Freedom Pro Universal Bluetooth Keyboard (http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/freedom-pro-universal-bluetooth-keyboard-p12513.htm)

andrewknight
12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and thus you have stated yours. If you have nothing constructive to add to the community then kindly refrain from speaking.
Of course, I apologize as your post is so very constructive as well as being grammatically flawed.

Sytner
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Perhaps the fact that I am 15 years of age may be a contributing factor to grammar that is not perfect.

andrewknight
12-27-2010, 02:40 PM
But not to its lack of constructive purpose.

mike71857
12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Perhaps the fact that I am 15 years of age may be a contributing factor to grammar that is not perfect.
Every single word in your post was spelled correctly. The only minor correction I would make is moving the comma.It was outstanding overall.
You spell better than 80% of the 15 year old kids in America.

dc/dc
12-28-2010, 12:02 AM
What a bunch of tossers.

Feel free to sod off at your convenience.

Losedge
12-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Thx,
Mike.

Get a playbook :)

andrewknight
12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Every single word in your post was spelled correctly. The only minor correction I would make is moving the comma.It was outstanding overall.
You spell better than 80% of the 15 year old kids in America.
Only 80%?

Harrison Leggio
12-30-2010, 09:58 PM
I disagree with you on your thoughts on the screen size. The screen is a perfect size In my opinion, mainly because it makes the phone not too big and not too small.

I have gotten used to the 9780 keyboard, but I believe the keys could be a bit bigger.

andrewknight
01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I wonder if a well setup 9500 is the answer? I've had two now, both as an early adopter and as a recent returner and if setup right these are a great handset.
A big screen and usable keys!

rambo47
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
If screen size is a concern, I would look at the Torch 9800 instead of the Storm 9500. No physical keyboard on the Storm series.

Sytner
01-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Proper capacitive touchscreen on the torch also, plus Os6 runs like a dream.

andrewknight
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Torch has a tiny keypad folks.
I reckon the OP should look at Nokia.

rambo47
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I've had several Nokia E-Series phones and found the BlackBerry keyboards to be FAR superior. My 9650's keyboard is the pinacle of human achievement in mobile telecommunications, IMHO. :smile:

andrewknight
01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Too small for my liking, I had a 9700 and went back to a 9000 to get usable keys.

mriff
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
My 9650's keyboard is the pinacle of human achievement in mobile telecommunications, IMHO. :smile:

This. Agree completely. :smile: