PDA

View Full Version : Sending SMS to many

Chris K
12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
As part of my job I have to send 12's letters to clients every day
Since I have their mobile number (and company berry :o) I decided to message them instead

Typed out the message as an email, sent it to my BB then forwarded as a sms

Typing in all those mobile numbers (10 per message max) is time consuming and very fiddly on the BB keyboard

Wondering if there's a way to prepare a string of mobile numbers on PC and forward them to BB, copy/paste them into 'To' box in one go

Is there text format for multi addresses? 5478674;47831784;478397 ??

MidnightDraven
12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
You can create a group and you would then type the group name, and it would send to all in that group.
It may be limited to 10 in a group though, not sure.

Chris K
12-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Problem is to create group you also need to create separate contacts to go in it which would take longer than just typing in all the numbers

Anyone know how to create string of numbers? 12345;67890;etc???? - then i could just copy/paste them in To: box

PanEuropean
12-20-2010, 07:42 PM
You can create a group....

Hi Draven:

I am not familiar with this concept of "creating a group", is this something that I do within Outlook, within the BB Desktop Manager, or within the BB itself (I have a 9780 with OS 6)?

I have a similar requirement to that of the OP, I need to send the same SMS to about half a dozen people on a daily basis. This "group" thing sounds like a great solution, but I don't know where to go to look up the instructions for creating a group.

Michael

futterbly79
12-21-2010, 10:15 PM
When I have to send the same SMS to many, I write it as an MMS and just send it to multiple people at once. I don't know if this is a valid solution for your type of business need, but it works for me since I don't always need to send the same people. So creating a group wouldn't always work for me.

grge
12-24-2010, 02:44 AM
While using Sony Ericsson software I could open up the SMS page in my Laptop using the large Keyboard I could very nicely type out long SMS and then send them across from my Laptop (when the mobile was connected by cable to the Laptop). The BB suite for Laptop/PC is having very basic functions and I am fed up. The Sony Ericsson Suite was so much better.

Motorcycle Mama
12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Bye then.

aiharkness
12-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Yep. Blackberrys are different.

Use what works best for you.

tsac
12-24-2010, 11:52 AM
You would think if text is the most important feature, people would find out how it works before buying a blackberry.

aiharkness
12-24-2010, 11:59 AM
As an aside, I didn't think you could create a group for SMS/MMS on the blackberry. But when Chris first posted I looked on my now 9700 with OS ver 5 and there are options for phone numbers and not just email and PIN. I don't remember this on earlier BlackBerrys. Haven't tested. (Don't do SMS/MMS and I don't want to pay to find out if it works.)

Also @<hidden> Chris, the advantage of the group is you create it once. Yeah, you will have to enter the information (or select from address book), but you do it just that once when you create the group. No good, though, if your "group" isn't constant.

If you can't create a group for SMS, the alternative is to send it as an email. I don't remember exactly how, but it is of the form of the phone number @<hidden> the carrier's domain. It has been discussed on the forum several times in just this context.