PDA

View Full Version : how much data is 500mb

cabral114
12-20-2010, 02:40 PM
So I am curious as to how much data you guys have on your plan. The plan I am looking at getting has 500 mb. I am not sure how much that actually is. I plan doing alot of internet time at work as I can get pretty bored. 1 GB is more money of course, but some people are saying 500 is enought. Can someone give me an example of how much this really is. Thanks so much

Motorcycle Mama
12-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Check out this link. Data Calculator - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/datacalculator.jsp)

It's a Verizon site and it's for Mobile Broadband (which uses more data than a BlackBerry), but it should give you a good idea of your data usage.

knottyrope
12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
if using a 9780 and have wifi most of the time, you data usage will be low with your carrier.

500 meg is a lot until you start watching lots of videos/youtube or pandora on 3g.

AlanJolin
12-31-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm in Uk. I got a 500Mb allowance on my phone the most I've used is 230MB, and that was me on it nearly all the time. You tube streaming do eat data, I don't use them(I'm getting old and grumpy proberly). So normally its around 150MB a monthSo I am curious as to how much data you guys have on your plan. The plan I am looking at getting has 500 mb. I am not sure how much that actually is. I plan doing alot of internet time at work as I can get pretty bored. 1 GB is more money of course, but some people are saying 500 is enought. Can someone give me an example of how much this really is. Thanks so much
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Harrison Leggio
12-31-2010, 01:08 PM
If your mainly looking for broswing, I googled and found out its about 2000 web pages.

But for the extra money more, you might want to buy the 1gb plan. If you accidentally go over, its not cheap.

Sytner
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I used to be on a 500mb plan (now unlimited), and got a full month's use out of it with no wifi time and I still never came close to 500mb, around 350mb was what I got.

Like said above, YouTube and streaming radio services, iPlayer etc are what use it up quickly. That is my reason for being on an unlimited plan.

Harrison Leggio
12-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Sytner, that's why I jumped for the unlimited aswell.

And check and see if you can get any deals with the service provider. In usa with tmobile, they dropped my plan price 10 bucks a month for the unlimited because I've been with the company for years.

I'm paying for the 500mb price, but getting the unlimited plan. See if you can work something out with them.

rambo47
01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Just with email and MMS messages I use about 2GB of data per month. I get a lot of attachements like .pdf files and .xls files though, and I'm a pretty heavy email user. 40-70 per day usually.

aiharkness
01-05-2011, 11:27 AM
And thus the answer is, It depends.

In the not-so-long-ago days of GPRS and strictly email and messaging (without HTML) and very basic web browsing, 500MB was a lot, or at least enough.

Nowadays 500MB is not all the much. It could be several videos, or one or two dozen audio podcasts. Though you may have some control over your mobile data usage via use of wifi.

One thing is for sure, what is enough will keep getting larger.

yahjoogooleh
01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I have the 500mb limit as well and have never gotten close to the limit. I don't use wifi and I watch youtube videos every couple days or so. I think the most I ever used was around 300.