PDA

View Full Version : How much leverage do I have with an unlocked Torch?

Buddha Boy
12-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi all,

I'm about to begin my formal search for a service plan. I recently purchased an unlocked Torch from RIM, and am seeing that the 'better' plans are only on 3-year terms.

So my question is whether or not I have leverage in requesting better plans/options because I am unlocked and can move on at any time. Do you have any experience with this, and whats a reasonable request for a plan?

Currently, $40/month includes unlimited social networking and IM, 150 minutes, and either double the minutes, unlimited text/video/picture messaging, or MY5. This is on a 3-year contract.

The same plan specifics without a 3-year agreement is $45/month.

Your advice is greatly appreciated! :)

DreamHacker
12-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Another factor to consider is where you'll be using your phone mostly and what kind of service/coverage you'll have there. Check out the coverage maps each carrier has. It might not matter, but then again it might. My two cents. Good luck in your research.

Buddha Boy
12-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the info Dream. Do you know if carriers are more open to adding things to plans if you come to them with an unlocked device and want to go month-to-month?

DreamHacker
12-25-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't. Sorry.

aiharkness
12-25-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm wondering if you'll have trouble getting a blackberry data plan if you want to go month to month.

If you are in the UK, read the posts by MidnightDraven where she is responding to questions involving data plans and options.

It would probably be best to just look at the websites of the various carriers you are considering, and research the pricing and options. And call the carrier customer service number. Doublecheck anything anyone tells you.

Dubdub
12-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Please do not double post. This thread is closed.

See your original thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9800-series-discussion-torch/242264-new-torch-owner-bunch-questions.html