PDA

View Full Version : beginner question

vgbaron
12-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I will soon be receiving a Blackberry Torch 9800 - my current carried is ATT. I have a basic question that I can't dtermine from various documents. I have wireless at home and wireless at office. I know how to configure each independently. So - say I am at home and have the T9800 set up for my home wireless. Then I jump in the car and head for the office.

1) will the Torch switch from my home wirless to the 'regular' service automatically when out of range of home?

and 2) will it switch to office wireless automatically when I get to office or do I have to manually select it?

Thanx!

Vic

tsac
12-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

You can set up the WIFI to each location.

Read here

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--docsblackberrycom-en-smartphoneusers-delivene-UserGuide-T643442-941426-0810050917-001-60-USpdf&sliceId=pdfPage_218&docTypeID=DT_PRODUCTDOCUMENTATION_1_1&dialogID=259744278&stateId=0%200%201026055271

DZD
12-26-2010, 02:31 AM
I will soon be receiving a Blackberry Torch 9800 - my current carried is ATT. I have a basic question that I can't dtermine from various documents. I have wireless at home and wireless at office. I know how to configure each independently. So - say I am at home and have the T9800 set up for my home wireless. Then I jump in the car and head for the office.

1) will the Torch switch from my home wirless to the 'regular' service automatically when out of range of home?

and 2) will it switch to office wireless automatically when I get to office or do I have to manually select it?

Thanx!

Vic

1) Yes
2) Yes

I have this on my Torch - I have a wifi at home and at the office - you can confirm as you will see the wifi name on the top center of the screen. I do nothing to switch between them - it works great. Enjoy the Torch.
8-)

Dubdub
12-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Since you are on AT&T, you will need to have a BB data plan before they send the WiFi service book. Cannot connect without it.

Sytner
12-26-2010, 08:59 AM
The wifi will automatically connect to any Saved profiles when they become in range.

A profile is saved whenever you log onto a network.

Harrison Leggio
12-30-2010, 02:53 PM
If you don't have a 3g or data plan and you plan on running purely via wifi than in your wifi options you can set it to "wifi preferred". This means that whenever you are near wifi that doesn't have a security key to enter with, your phone will connect to it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Dubdub
12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
If you don't have a 3g or data plan and you plan on running purely via wifi than in your wifi options you can set it to "wifi preferred". This means that whenever you are near wifi that doesn't have a security key to enter with, your phone will connect to it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

See post 4. And if the OP is on AT&T, per their profile, they will require a BB data plan before allowing the device on their network. No way around it AFAIK. Even if you drop the data plan, it will get added back in during the random IMEI sweeps that AT&T does.

penguin3107
12-30-2010, 04:17 PM
in your wifi options you can set it to "wifi preferred". This means that whenever you are near wifi that doesn't have a security key to enter with, your phone will connect to it.

No, that's not true.
Your BlackBerry will not automatically connect to a new WiFi network, regardless if it's open or secured.
You'd need to fist search for the network and then add it as a WiFi profile.

MidnightDraven
12-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Also "Wi-fi preferred" option only appears on UMA enabled blackberry's.