PDA

View Full Version : 1 BlackBerry with 2 BES accounts? (and Gmail)

machiavell1
12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to set up 1 BlackBerry with 2 BES/BESX accounts simultaneously. I have seen some posts showing success but some of them are quite old (possibly old BES) and also a little cryptic...

What I would really like to achieve is the following:

1. Have my work BES account, complete with untouched IT policy, as my primary BES account (as it is now);
2. Replace my BIS Gmail with a BES/BESX solution, so that I can get properly synced Gmail and Calendar.

I would be really grateful for some advice about how to go about this, including:

1. Set up instructions for adding the 2nd BES/BESX account, starting hopefully from my current position which is the primary BES account already on there and left alone! (I am keen not to interfere in any way with my work email or security policies, just to improve the somewhat lacklustre Gmail experience I am getting...)

2. Any advice on what I need to get on the Google end - would I need a Google Apps account plus a Hosted BES solution? Is there a BESX cheaper alternative? I am an ordinary GMail user at the moment, but happy to consider getting an apps account and looking into a hosted solution if it is not prohibitively expensive.

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should add that I am on OS6.

penguin3107
12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
There's a limit of 1 BES/BESx account per handheld.

Calebrity
12-29-2010, 01:16 PM
OS6 will not make a difference on this but as Penguin had said it is 1 BES/BESx per device.

machiavell1
12-29-2010, 01:16 PM
There's a limit of 1 BES/BESx account per handheld.

Thanks. I understand that is the basic position but I have seen (on here and on CB) some users who are reporting having added 2 BES profiles, one after the other, by renaming one of them. I'm not sure how they've achieved this, just the reported results. Is this no longer possible?

penguin3107
12-29-2010, 01:19 PM
The process you are describing is very old, and will most likely not work anymore.
You need to use an older version of desktop manager, connected to BES, and rename your [Desktop] service books to something else by changing the service name.

This won't enable full two-way sync of all PIM modules either.
My advice to you, is don't go down this path. Not worth the headaches for a half-assed hack.

What's wrong with your current sync of GMail contacts and calendar using BIS?

machiavell1
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
The process you are describing is very old, and will most likely not work anymore.
You need to use an older version of desktop manager, connected to BES, and rename your [Desktop] service books to something else by changing the service name.

This won't enable full two-way sync of all PIM modules either.
My advice to you, is don't go down this path. Not worth the headaches for a half-assed hack.

What's wrong with your current sync of GMail contacts and calendar using BIS?

Thanks - that's what I was a little afraid of. Much obliged.

Gmail contacts (with the latest iteration of BIS) is fine now. Calendar on BIS isn't very good (only syncs a single calendar so I have to use Google sync for multiple calendars, which can occasionally mess up my desktop calendar), and Gmail still doesn't reconcile properly on BIS, which means I have had to give it up for the more accurate but less functional Google Gmail app.

It's a shame - love my BB, and have to use it for work, but Gmail support on it (either as a result of Google or RIM or both) is very poor, when compared to Yahoo! or the iPhone (or Android, but that's hardly surprising).

Thanks for the advice and speedy response.