PDA

View Full Version : GPS and Twitter.

pumpkin001
12-31-2010, 10:38 AM
I am using UberTwitter with the 9700 Bold.

I am playing around with the GPS.

In London when I send a Tweet the GPS locations seems accurate to within 20 meters or so.

However, outside of London, the GPS might be 300-400 metres off.

I test by looking at the Google Maps of the GPS provided by UberTwitter whenever a tweet is posted.

When using GPS on the BlackBerry my location is usually spot-on. I am wondering if anyone knows why Uberwitter does not seem to generate the accuracy that the built-in GPS obtains?

Thanks.

Sytner
12-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Do you have this problem with any other apps? In Google Maps is your GPS location accurately reported? Likewise in the GPS options menu does it report the accuracy to be correct to what UberTwitter is reporting it as.

Sytner
12-31-2010, 12:20 PM
EDIT:

Just found this...

#16. The location function is about a mile off! Why is it inaccurate?

If you are not using the built-in GPS the location mechanism is solely based off of the cell tower that your phone is connected to. The lat/long and address are for the cell tower with the accuracy component based off of your signal strength. We have seen this get as accurate as around 700 meters, but not much closer.

From the UberTwitter site.

It sounds as if outwith London it is reporting from cell tower locations/triangulation. Are you sure you are giving adequate time for the GPS to accuire a fix outwith London?

aiharkness
12-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Cell tower location is the explanation I was thinking of reading down through the thread. But I haven't used ubertwitter in a long time.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

pumpkin001
01-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

Here are the four options UberTwitter provides me in order of least to most accuracy.

Cell Tower

Assisted GPS

Assisted + Autonomous

Autonomous GPS

I selected each in turn then rebooted the phone then sent a test tweet. In all cases I also tested the inbuilt GPS and after "searching for satellites" my exact location within a few meters was discovered.

In each case when posting a new tweet UberTwitter on BlackBerry reported the potential accuracy depending on which geo-location system I was using. They are:

Cell - 767 meters

Assisted - 500 meters

Assisted Plus - 500 meters

Autonomous - 500 metres

The cell result was about 4km away from my actual location. The other three results were identical and about 10-15 meters away.

However, when I tried this in a smaller town, rather than London, all four geo-location options gave the same location which was about 300 meters away. I cannot say that I checked the inbuilt GPS first though.

Any further comments would be appreciated.

Sytner
01-01-2011, 09:09 PM
If you go to (OS 5) Options>Advanced>GPS and press menu, refresh GPS or for OS 6 Options>Device>Location, menu then refresh gps it will tell you the actual accuracy. This will let you know whether you aren't getting a very accurate fix from the value given in the accuracy field or if there is a problem with UberTwitter.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile