PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded the O.S. (and it sucked) and now downgraded (and it's mostly broken)

spiritfreedom
01-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi all,
My first post here. I'm crossing my fingers for help. I have my first blackberry. The 3G 9330 Curve. I was pretty happy with the status quo for weeks, but discovered in my options folder (I think) that there was an upgrade available. So I clicked that. Bad, bad idea. The newer O.S. (6 I think) was clunky and not intuitive. Mostly, I wanted my excellent theme back and although it SAID it was loaded on there, I could only access the one theme that comes pre-loaded on the device.

So, I thought I'd downgrade back to what I had before, and tried that today. What I've had both with the upgraded version, and with the old version before upgrading, was a main screen that showed the icons I most wanted to see, and then a whole other page of folders like Apps, Clock, Media, Options, etc. In order to access the second page, I'd hit the blackberry button.

Now that I downgraded the phone, it refuses to go anywhere when I press the blackberry button. In fact, it freezes for a while until I press a bunch of buttons. So that means I can not access all that stuff on the second page. I can only get to my phone, email, internet, contacts, and SMS. Everything else is somehow stuck on the other page.

Um, help?!

Calebrity
01-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi all,
My first post here. I'm crossing my fingers for help. I have my first blackberry. The 3G 9330 Curve. I was pretty happy with the status quo for weeks, but discovered in my options folder (I think) that there was an upgrade available. So I clicked that. Bad, bad idea. The newer O.S. (6 I think) was clunky and not intuitive. Mostly, I wanted my excellent theme back and although it SAID it was loaded on there, I could only access the one theme that comes pre-loaded on the device.

So, I thought I'd downgrade back to what I had before, and tried that today. What I've had both with the upgraded version, and with the old version before upgrading, was a main screen that showed the icons I most wanted to see, and then a whole other page of folders like Apps, Clock, Media, Options, etc. In order to access the second page, I'd hit the blackberry button.

Now that I downgraded the phone, it refuses to go anywhere when I press the blackberry button. In fact, it freezes for a while until I press a bunch of buttons. So that means I can not access all that stuff on the second page. I can only get to my phone, email, internet, contacts, and SMS. Everything else is somehow stuck on the other page.

Um, help?!

so you mean to tell me that the upgrade option was to 6.0 I'm doubting it was 6.0 as the 6.0 for the 93XX phones was released as a leaked version. and not as a full release.

Now to properly reload the OS back you can download the HH code from blackberry.com for your provider
and complete a reload using the loader.exe program.
then just do a selective restore on your berry for just your addressbook and bbm if that is all you need

hope this helps

penguin3107
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
as the 6.0 for the 93XX phones was released as a leaked version. and not as a full release.

That's not true. Sprint released OS 6 for the 9330.
It's available via Wireless Update ont he handheld.

Wolf_Dreams
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

Um, help?!

First off, I think I know what you mean by a "Second Page" of icons accessed by hitting the BB button.

In OS 5 you press and hold the BB menu button for 2 seconds to bring up the task ribbon (in OS 6 it's more of a mini page of icons - depending on what you've got open) and if "That" is the page you meant, no wonder BB 6 was clunky for you, you had too many apps open at once! BB 6 uses way more memory, so you can't keep a ton of apps open - and you also need to do a battery pull at least every other day - to reboot and reorganize the OS! Even if you stay with OS 5!

When you downgraded, it's very likely that the alignment of your icons has been rearranged for you. So, if you can't find the apps yoou used to have, Look in the folder icons - you'll find the missing apps there, or you didn't load your backup properly. Assuming you used desktop manager.

If you are missing contact info or memos or any personal data, you basically installed the "stock version". You need to be using desktop manager 6, so you can backup your data and most importantly, restore your data and apps properly. If you don't have DM 6, download it here:

http://bbry.lv/dsktpmgr

Then, familiarize yourself with the "Backup your BB" procedure. It's very straightforward.

If you can't find your apps, you can re-download them.

When you are finished with an app for a while - go to it and then press the escape key to close it and free up memory (or press menu - scroll down - exit/close) and don't forget to do a battery pull, once in a while ;)
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Calebrity
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
That's not true. Sprint released OS 6 for the 9330.
It's available via Wireless Update ont he handheld.

I stand corrected thanks Penguin I didn't know this
but still wireless OTA updates still are hard to trust sometimes :S

Dubdub
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Can this help me in any way? I've just installed Mini Opera, and it shows up OK in Desktop Manager - but I can't find it on the phone.

It is considered bad manners to hijack another user's thread, especially if you question is not related to the thread.

Please start a new thread with your question.