PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered first Blackberry :)

Shock
08-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I just ordered my very first BB from Amazon. I used to have a Handspring, but didn't get much use out of it, got tired of hunitng and pecking on the screen. Thanks to whoever posted about the $99.00 7230. I know that I can use it for my phone, and organizer and email but what else can I do with it? Can somone explain to me what BES stands for? Is it the same as MDS?

Looking forward to getting my BB on Thursday can't hardly wait.

MrCynical
08-31-2004, 08:16 PM
Blackberry Enterprise Server :)

Happy to help!

kirson
08-31-2004, 11:21 PM
Just remember that you will need a Blackberry data plan in order to use the email features. When you get that service activated through the carrier, you will have access to the Blackberry Web Client (BWC), which is most likely the method you will use to setup email messaging. Don't get frustrated if it seems complicated -- just post a quick question, and one of us will walk you through it.

As for other things you can use the BB for: lots of stuff...some games...some IM clients (though you will most likely need access to that first acronym BES to run these well)...web browsing...

finch
09-01-2004, 08:01 AM
MDS is short for Mobile Data Services.

Mark Rejhon
09-01-2004, 09:47 AM
MDS (Mobile Data Services) is a service provided by a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server).

MDS provides functionality like a TCP/IP stack which allows you to run generic Internet applications on the Blackberry.

MDS is not currently included with Blackberries until the BlackberryOS 4.0 deployment and when the carriers upgrade their Blackberry servers.

For the cheapest ways to add MDS (about $10 per month to a third party) so you can run instant message/telnet/SSH/IRC/etc, you will want to check the BES/MDS forum for the BES Hosting FAQ. Feel free to ask questions about it.

JOHNGAETANO
09-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the Club!

arbos
09-03-2004, 03:55 PM
congrats

Tom
09-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the Club Indeed :)