PDA

View Full Version : BES express for Home

isarib
01-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Can anyone run a BES express server from home using the home internet?

At the moment, most PERSONAL blackberry out there a tied to a BIS account. A BIS providing the Internet for an X amount of $ per month. Just wondering if you can run your own BES express server from home using your own internet service ISP at home, but serving to the handhelds. Of course you need to ask for a BES plan for the devices.

jamead1981
01-10-2011, 05:11 AM
yes you can run your own BES Express server from home providing you setup the ports on your router properly - BUT you will also need to run your own mail server, either Exchange, Lotus Notes or Google Apps via their connector.

And you only need a BIS plan at minimum for your phone - BESx does not require a BES plan.

isarib
01-10-2011, 08:10 AM
yes you can run your own BES Express server from home providing you setup the ports on your router properly - BUT you will also need to run your own mail server, either Exchange, Lotus Notes or Google Apps via their connector.

And you only need a BIS plan at minimum for your phone - BESx does not require a BES plan.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think most people do this, those enthusiast?

When you say you only need a BIS phone plan, but that means your Telco still provides the Internet Service rite? and that charge is the bit I'm trying to eliminated. Such as BES phone plan charges are cheaper than BIS.

I am hoping if MDS(Internet) can be done over BES of your home setup using the home ISP, serving your blackberry.

My understanding is that BIS plan phone can be attached to any BES server, though this is more costly as apposed to a BES plan phone attached to a BES server.

Also I understood that a BES plan phone is useless as the Internet does not work unless it is attached to a BES server, which is true. BES planned does not incure any data usage charges. BIS planned phone does incure data usage charges.

Can you please clarify is my understanding is correct?

Many thanks!

MidnightDraven
01-10-2011, 08:14 AM
No, you need a BES plan to attach to a BES. A BIS plan won't allow for BES activation.

You will need a BIS plan to attach to BESX.

isarib
01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
No, you need a BES plan to attach to a BES. A BIS plan won't allow for BES activation.

You will need a BIS plan to attach to BESX.

So a BESx is a cutdown version of a BES server, and does not do anything more than just allow a mail server connectivity to the BIS planned devices.

BESx does not allow for serving MDS to the devices?